Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How do you remove the steering wheel column?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jdanger, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jdanger

jdanger New Member

I need to get to the blinker lever (it broke off at the column) on my 78 Cheyenne, I took the big first bolt off then the screws and couldn't get the steering wheel off. Please excuse my ignorance, pretty new to this stuff.

2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you need a steering wheel puller or you can try the hold and yank or the hit the bow from behind, but the wheel puller is the fastest and best...........mike

3. mcrich

mcrich Member

Steering wheel removal

Yeah invest in the wheel puller I have seen guys almost knock themsleves out by just pulling on it. Its fun to watch but it looks like it hurts.............lol

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

lol, yeah plus you run the risk of stripping it a bit when you just yank on it so there is a chance that you might get some slop in the wheel or worse.