Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Electrical How Do you Replace Lights in a stock GM 1996 Radio?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 2091B22, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 2091B22

2091B22 New Member

I am a newbie to the truck club, and a newbie to my Suburban. I have a 1996 GMC K2500 4X4 6.5 L Turbo Diesel. I am sure I have the stock GM radio with a cassette player in it. At the top of the radio are six buttons numbered 1 through 6. On the top row is 1-2-3, and the bottom row is 4-5-6. The lights are out for button 2 and 5. How do you replace the lights in this unit? Please tell me I do not have to remove the complete radio!!

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you can soder then you will be ok. but yes you have to remove the radio and basically diassemble it.. If you look on Ebay there are several vendors on there that will replace all of the bulbs for around $40.

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

It would be cheaper and safer to just replace the radio with an inexpensive aftermarket solution.

4. jnt412

jnt412 Member

I agree on a aftermarket replacement. You should be able to get a aftermarket radio thats the same size as the factory or other compatible types at www.crutchfield.com They include the wiring harness for free to minimize cutting and soldering.. + free tech. support.

Maybe time to upgrade to a bluetooth/bluray :great: