1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how do you reset the service 4wd message displayed on the dash

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by smokeyandthebandit, Oct 12, 2010.

1. smokeyandthebandit

smokeyandthebandit New Member

This light has been coming on for a while but not very often since 70000kms or so and then when you shut the truck off and on again the message is gone. Yesterday I changed the passenger side axle seal and had to take apart the front left side of the differential to access the seal. took off the electric actuator, pulled the axle tube, took out snap rings removed axle to put in the new seal. After i had buttoned it back up I tried it out and it seemed to work fine but on the drive in today the service 4wd light came on but I didn't think much of it because this has been happening for a while. On my way back home from work it came on again so I shut off the truck, turned it back on and ten min's later the light came back on so on and off the message light came back ,. when I got home I tried the 4wd in auto, 4H, 4L and it is working fine engaging and disengaging the way it should. truck now has 97500kms on it.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I also did not have a diagram to show me how to put it back together Haynes manual is awful no exploded views whatsoever but I think I got it right.[​IMG][​IMG]

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

I also match marked everything on the out side to make sure it went back in the same[​IMG]
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You may want to run it in to get the codes read, just to be on the safe side. It sounds like it may be more of a problem than just resetting the light. As far as resetting it, not sure. I thought it reset after turning off the truck and letting it sit for a few, but not positive.
  3. smokeyandthebandit

I don't have a pic but i marked the actuator too

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

guess I got to bring it in $$$$
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Maybe...see what others say first, but it may be your best option. Not sure how much it costs, but I hope it is not too much. So sorry for what you are going though, as it looks like you have put a ton of work into it already.
  5. smokeyandthebandit

do you think a obd scan tool will tell me the code for this?
    Equus 3130 - Equus CanOBD Code Readers
    seen it on jeg's
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  6. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My dad had the same message come up on his 08 2500. Didn't show any major problems for a few months then one day I put it in 4 wheel drive and it wouldn't disengage from 4 wheel drive. Took it to the deal since still under warranty and it was a faulty sensor. seems like those things go out all the time. Truck only has 14,000 miles on it.
  7. smokeyandthebandit

well the message hasn't shown up now for three days now and the 4x4 is still working. I do think that the message is a reminder to change your fluid in the system. I change the fluid myself but don't know how to tell the truck that i did it so I think the message keeps flashing at me.
  8. smokeyandthebandit

So I figured out that all I had to do was push the reset button on the cluster and it cleared the message. I haven't had the message since I posted this so all is good.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

glad to here it was a simple fix
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If it is engaging the transfer case properly more than likely the sensor is going bad, the sensor can be replaced separately from encoder/motor. It sounds like it's intermittently losing the signal to tell the position of the transfer case. I would recommend getting it repaired before it fails completely.