1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you reset your ECU?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Demick, Dec 31, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Demick

Demick New Member

When i bought my truck the previous owner had a programmer and had loaded it onto the ECU. Now he had lost the programing unit so i cant unload the software. I have a Hypertech programmer now and i want to be able to tune. But my new programmer errors out because it already has one on it.

Main reason is the already loaded program has the firm shift on and i just installed a new transmission with a custom shift kit. MAN IT SHIFTS HARD now haha Well only into first really.

I was told by Hypertech that only a dealer could reset it. True?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You will have to take your truck to a dealer and have them reflash your trucks ecu. This can be good as you will get all the factory lastest updates. After they reflash your ecu drive it for about 200 to 300 miles and then install your programmer.
  3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think, if u go ahead and unplug the ground from the battery over night it can work.
    Its what i been told ?!:neutral:
  4. Demick

Demick New Member

Battery was off for a few months while i built my motor and transmission, no worky.

guess i'll bring her in to the dealer when i get a chance
  5. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

the remove the battery trick only works for "soft" programming, not the stuff that the hypertech and others would change. it might be worth it to find out what programmer was used on the truck before, and find one used to return to stock and try hypertech, depending on how much they will charge you to flash the PCM
  6. chevyp2p

chevyp2p New Member

How to reset Chevrolet ECU or ECM

You need a tech 2 scanner or a j2534 programmer plus a subscriptions to TIS2WEB to get the data that has to be loaded on your ECU.
    I had exactly the same problem and a guy on the West Coast reflashed mine for $99 dollars.
    You can find them on this website: (I hope it helps) www.speedometergaugerepair.com
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree you need to get it re-flashed. The dealer can do it or like others have said an aftermarket shop that has a programming pass through scanner can do it too. Call the dealer and ask what they will charge you. Then call around to some good repair shops and ask them who in town can re-flash a GM computer. Most shops charge $75 - $100 to do it around the West Coast.