How do you "Unplug" your governor?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Barnettamb, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 wt with a 4.3 v6 and i wanna know how hard it would be to unplug the governor.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think this is more of a computer function than just simply unplugging (someone who knows for sure will have to clarify). Another option for you would be to use a programmer if disconnecting/deactivating will not work

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like mfleetwood said it's more of a computer function.
    The question I have is why do you want to turn off your governor?
    With a 4.3 and 32" tall BFG's I dont think reaching max speed is much of a problem, your probably already out of gear and HP around a 100mph, which is around where the governor is set.

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You need a programmer like SuperChips to remove the governer.

5. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

Haha its really not necessary at all. Me and a friend who drives a tacoma were talking about it today and i thought i would do it if it wasn't to hard. but yeah my 4.3 v6 offers very little power on the highway.

6. My friend and i work at the same shop and both have 03 1500s. He just recently bought a snap-on modus scan tool and has the GM tech2 on there, you can get rid of the limiter with that and not have a programmer

7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What's the cost of that bad boy vs a programer? For most owners that's not even an option..rist scan tool is like 3500.00 vs a 400.00 programmer.I

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. Oh without a doubt a programmer is way cheaper than the tech2, but being a mechanic and dealing with a lot of gm products it was worth the money. Espically because i didnt buy it haha

9. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

not to be a downer or anything but also at that speed you have to be careful with your drive shaft and your u-joints. there not ment for crazy high speeds. but like stated you have to have a tune or a programmer to remove it :)

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

while the V6 wont offer up much more you should just get a programmer Diablo is what a lot of people get too, this will give you more power in your useful range and give you much better passing rpm power. or you could get a custom tune. Even my big heavy suburban showed gains with just a hypertech. the rpms gained much easier for passing or merging onto a freeway. I also added a K&N intake and true dual exhaust, I also did these in stages and could feel and see (via tachometer) improvement. I also gained 1.5 mpg with all of this, so that was the biggest improvement for me.