1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you "Unplug" your governor?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Barnettamb, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 wt with a 4.3 v6 and i wanna know how hard it would be to unplug the governor.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think this is more of a computer function than just simply unplugging (someone who knows for sure will have to clarify). Another option for you would be to use a programmer if disconnecting/deactivating will not work
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like mfleetwood said it's more of a computer function.
    The question I have is why do you want to turn off your governor?
    With a 4.3 and 32" tall BFG's I dont think reaching max speed is much of a problem, your probably already out of gear and HP around a 100mph, which is around where the governor is set.
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You need a programmer like SuperChips to remove the governer.
  5. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Haha its really not necessary at all. Me and a friend who drives a tacoma were talking about it today and i thought i would do it if it wasn't to hard. but yeah my 4.3 v6 offers very little power on the highway.
  6. roughcntryrado

roughcntryrado New Member

My friend and i work at the same shop and both have 03 1500s. He just recently bought a snap-on modus scan tool and has the GM tech2 on there, you can get rid of the limiter with that and not have a programmer
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What's the cost of that bad boy vs a programer? For most owners that's not even an option..rist scan tool is like 3500.00 vs a 400.00 programmer.I
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. roughcntryrado

roughcntryrado New Member

Oh without a doubt a programmer is way cheaper than the tech2, but being a mechanic and dealing with a lot of gm products it was worth the money. Espically because i didnt buy it haha
  9. darnie1987

darnie1987 New Member 100 Posts

not to be a downer or anything but also at that speed you have to be careful with your drive shaft and your u-joints. there not ment for crazy high speeds. but like stated you have to have a tune or a programmer to remove it :)
  10. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

while the V6 wont offer up much more you should just get a programmer Diablo is what a lot of people get too, this will give you more power in your useful range and give you much better passing rpm power. or you could get a custom tune. Even my big heavy suburban showed gains with just a hypertech. the rpms gained much easier for passing or merging onto a freeway. I also added a K&N intake and true dual exhaust, I also did these in stages and could feel and see (via tachometer) improvement. I also gained 1.5 mpg with all of this, so that was the biggest improvement for me.