1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how does a aftermarket trans temp gauge work?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

I am planning to buy a triple gauge piller, one vacuum, one trans temp, third i havent yet decided. how does a trans temp guage(aftermarket) get its reading? what type of sending unit is used? how hard is it to install?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can install the sending unit in the pan but the best place is the return cooler line. The return cooler line shows the temp of the oil after it's been cooled. The sending unit will come with the gauge. They make a fitting <manifold> that splices into the cooler line and the sender screws into the fitting. It's easy to install. You cut the line with a tubing cutter and the adapter has compression fittings. Summit sells them as do most transmission specialty shops. Here a link. Click
  3. kawasaki_kid

okay, thanks for the info. do you think i could use it to read my rear rear diff temp?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about diff temp with a 14 bolt, 350, and 33s. I overload the crap out of my 97, and never even think about diff temp. I don't suspect many diff failures are temp related, either. Do you carry a lot of weight or do a lot of towing?
  5. 2COR517

I'm surprised you recommend the return line. Wouldn't it be better to know how hot the trans is getting on the output side? I guess ideally, one in each would be best.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The output would give you the temperature inside the torque converter. The return gives you you a better idea of the transmission temp which is and should be cooler. I agree one in each would be ideal and I have seen this done before with a double throw switch so you can see exactly how well your cooler is working.
  7. kawasaki_kid

i dont do much towing in summer, usually just winter, at most a snowmobile in the box and two on on a trailer. i was more just thinking of what else to put in a triple pod. vacuum, trans temp, and...? what else?
  8. 2COR517

Engine oil temp would be good, or a second tranny temp. You could have before and after the cooler as Jimmie were talking.