1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How does a game cam / motion detection camera work? (delay, storage)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Springthing, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Well, once again I've had things taken off my property and I say enough is enough. I want to install one of those game cameras, used to take pictures of deer/turkey/etc, and have a few questions for those that have used them before. Here is a typical description, please see if you can help answer a few questions afterwards.

• Sharp .3mp pixel resolution.
      [*]Two resolution settings: High VGA and Low QVGA
      [*]8MB Built In Memory.
      [*]EZ-to-use Multiple Setting Options.
      [*]Test Mode and Low Battery Light.
      [*]External LCD Image Counter.
      [*]USB Output for PC Download.
      [*]8MB Built In Memory.
      [*]SD Memory Card Slot. Expandable to 512mb. (Card sold separately)
      [*]Powerful Flash
      [*]Delay Settings; 1 / 5 / 10 / 20 minutes.
      [*]Power: 4 - C-cell batteries.
      [*]Ulead image Software and USB cable included.
      [*]Compatible with Windows 98 / 2000 / ME / AND XP Operating Systems

Now, when they say "delay settings" I know that you can choose to delay the camera's response so you make sure you get a full view of whatever came into the motion detector's range, but can all/most cameras also just be set to take a picture right away? In other words if someone/something comes in the field of vision, can you set it so that the camera takes a picture immediately, not not have to wait a minimum of one minute?

Secondly, do most of the camera's only use the flash in low light conditions, or is the flash either always on or off?

If anyone has any ideas on what I could do to either get images or video of whoever is coming onto my property, I'm open for ideas. I don't want to invest in a complete home-surveillance system with infra-red multi-optic night-vision cameras with body heat signature tracking....

Anyone have an extra camera laying about??

Thanks in advance.
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

Yes, most cameras have the ability to adjust the delay as well as whether or not the flash goes off (or on). I know you don't want to invest in a video system, but I would suggest it. If you get a pic of someone, that doesn't mean much other than they're trespassing. If you get video of them taking something off your property, then that's proof of theft. There are actually relatively affordable systems out there now, and you don't need night vision. Just get flood lights with motion detectors from Lowe's or Home Depot and aim them in the same direction as the camera. The lights only cost ~$20 per set (IIRC from my last trip to the store).

G/L getting the bastards. I hate thieves with a passion.
  3. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Also, you can purchase camera's that have the motion light sensors/camera's built into one system.
    so the light comes on then the camera starts rolling. Also, if can, dedicate a breaker to the system itself
    so you ample supply to the system. Right now check out Comp Usa, it has a nice system for about $300.00, it has 4 camera's, 250 gig dvr and so on, read the details. Nice little system if you need to only watch a small area. Ct9a's right, adding the lights does help the system, even if they are night cameras, just enhances the subject that you want to bust and kick the livin' s... out of, right?
    So search a lot of different places, read all info cause there is a lot out there. Costco's has a couple of great systems for the prices, so here you go a start. I really hate when people can't keep their hands off of things that don't belong to them. We wonder why sometimes our insurance is so high, stealing is one of them.... So, in closing I bought the one from Comp Usa, now I need to get in the attic since it's cool and install it, with all the other things, including the Cash Money work I have been hired to do as well...

Jeff
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

You might want the game cam to be able to take video or multiple pictures over a short period of time. Make sue it has IR light on it, is silent and no visible flash or your game cam will belong to the very guy you are searching for.
  5. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

What about something like this:

http://www.swann.com.au/s/products/view/?product=613

"RedAlertâ„¢ - Movement Video Recorder
    Portable & discreet for covert surveillance. Motion triggers still photos or 10 second video clips at 3 second intervals. Built-in PIP (Picture In Picture) feature allows you to see 1 wired & 1 wireless camera simultaneously on your monitor."

Features

• Record AVI video files or JPEG photo images
    • Add an SD memory card from RadioShack for easy back-up (any size up to 2GB)
    • A 2GB card (not included) can store up to 28,000 images or 4,380 AVI videos (10 seconds each)
    • Built-in PIP (Picture In Picture) feature allows you to see 1 wired & 1 wireless camera simultaneously on your monitor
    • Conveniently connect wireless or wired cameras
    • Compact size for discreet storage & operation
    $190 with camera at Amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SW244-WDW-Red-Alert-Security/dp/B001544U0G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229185070&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Swann SW244-WDW Red Alert Security Kit: Electronics[/ame]
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  6. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Thanks folks - all good information.

I've calmed down a little bit today but still hate that someone was on my property and snooping around. I'm very defensive, I guess. This isn't the first time - I had kids coming up and ringing the doorbell in the middle of the night around thanksgiving.

Not that I'm an ass but I'd rather get my point across that I don't put up with ppl messing with me than just try to deter the activities. In other words, I appreciate warning ppl that there are video cameras with stickers and signs and then not have them on my property - but I'd rather get pictures or videos and then make fliers to deliver door to door to everyone in the neighborhood about what kids or what neighbor is going around and trespassing/stealing.

I think that's the difference between messages of "I'd rather not have you on my property." vs "I don't put up with anyone on my property."

Anyhow... just typing for the sake of getting a little frustration out. Maybe I just need to take it seriously and do the video camera system. I've too much stuff in my shop and around the house to not warrant being able to finger point a thief/trespasser out.

Thanks again for all the input, folks. It's very much appreciated.
  7. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

8. tlperry68

How about setting up some trip flares or a trip line boobied to an audible signaling device? Those have lways worked form me. Plus I can guarntee that who ever is snooping and pooping around your property wont want to come back.
  9. tlperry68

Better yet why don't you stay up perched in a tree with a paint ball gun this weekend. When old boy comes around give him a little splat. I did that once to the neighbors boyfriend a few years back. He would honk his horn every night at 10:00 PM to let his girlfriend know he was out side. One night I light him up with paint and he never did it again. Just an idea that doesn't involve hurting anyone.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

lol, trip flares? hahaha Sorry, that made me laugh as I can see someone hooking them up so they catch the perp on fire or something.

I think a lot of us have been down this road before and had someone who doesn't want to work (adult) or looking for a thrill (kids) come onto our property at night. It makes you feel vunerable and you don't sleep well at night for a couple of months, but you'll get over it and things will go back to normal.

Back a couple of years ago I was part of a multi-house vandalism spree that cost me a new trailblazer window and a new house window as well! I think there may have been some other nonsense going on some other days, so the trick for me was a $40 home depot motion-sensor light by the garage that lights it all up with two 100-watt halogens. Then the front door got a motion-sensor porch light and two smaller motion-sensor lights near the fence on either side as well. I've toyed with the idea of a type of web-cam that took a photo every second or so and posted it to the webserver, but haven't gotten to it yet.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3531&page=2