GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

How does it effect the ride?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by nstaricha, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nstaricha

nstaricha New Member

I've been told the bigger the wheel the rougher the ride. I am just curious what everyone means when they say this. Does the ride feel rougher because the rim is bigger and the sidewall on the tire is smaller. You can just feel more bumps in the road? Or does it effect the suspension at all and that iin turn decreases the ride quality?

If anyone has large rims please help me out....is the ride really that bad with the big wheels?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

I don't have big wheels but the rougher ride is typically attributed to the tires that go along with it. when you go large wheels you get shorter sidewalls on the tires. With shorter side walls there is less flex in the sidewalls so after that my guess is that the tires take up less of the road dampening. stiff sidewalls are good for cornering but from what I understand that is what gives you the rougher ride.
  3. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

I have stock 20's on my truck and the ride is great. everyone says they are impressed with how smooth of a ride my truck has with my big rims. Of course I don't have low profiles on my truck either. The smaller sidewalls do make the ride rougher.
  4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member

on my moms old dodge with the 20s the ride sucked, then we put a lift on it with 17 inch rims and 35 inch tires, it rode alot better then stock. so yeah bigger rims ride worse the small rims, but bigget rims handle better then small rims, so its pretty much a trade off
  5. kgibson181

kgibson181 New Member

I agr'ee with dsfloyd, Since putting larger tires on my truck it seems the tires dont have as much "give" to them and that one main factor is what I believe contributes to the rougher ride the most. Also a beefy tread design can also cause this.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

My wifes Trailblazer has 20s with 275/45-20 tires and Belltech lowering kit. Rides just alittle stiffer than stock, but she feels its worth it.
  7. hunky

hunky New Member

X2 It ain't the wheel it's the sidewall/air pressure.
  8. zachh1020

zachh1020 New Member

IMHO, Larger tires wear suspension parts out much quicker! It puts much more strain on everything.
  9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

I replaced my stock 17" rims with factory G.M. 20"s but I went with a slightly higher profile tire, 305/50/20 which gives me about 6" of sidewall. The stock setup had about 7" so I don't notice a lot of difference.
  10. nstaricha

nstaricha New Member

I know that most on this forum appreciate the offroad look but I was thinking of either 22s or 24s for my truck. I have a 06 crew cab silverado, 2wd, and was hoping to maybe get some opinions. If I went with 22s, do you think it would be possibile to fit 305/45/22 tires? From what I have seen online, these are about 0.4" larger than the 305/35/24 tires that would come with the 24" set up. Would I really notice much of a ride difference between the 22s and 24s?
  11. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

I doubt you would notice a difference in those two setups, especially if the sidewall difference is only .4".
  12. kuyawil69

kuyawil69 New Member

I've had 17's, 20's and 22's on my Av and there is definitely a noticeable difference between the 17's and 22's. The 17's had a 70-series tire, the 20's use a 55-series tire and the 22's used a 40-series tire. When I went to 20's from 17's, it was pretty negligible. And when I went to the 22's, I noticed the Av did have a little stiffer ride but it was still very tolerable. Additionally though, the Av cornered so much better with the 22's as well.

So, there is definitely a trade off that you'll have to consider. Comfort? Or looks? That decision is entirely up to you... Good luck!
  13. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member

I will tell you that big tires are worth it if you're going to be doing off road driving. They will ride stiffer on the highway but that can be countered by upgrading the shocks. Even a 50 dollar shock will make a difference. Also ATs (All terrains) will ride much better than MTs (Mud terrains). Hope this helps.

-Greg
  14. altheflip

altheflip New Member

I have 22's with 305/45's on my 07 tahoe. Lowered 2/3. Reason I went with the 305/45 was it was real close to the stock settings. Rubs a little when the wheels are completely turned, very tolerable in my opinion. I didn't really notice much of a ride difference from the stock 17's 265/70. I've received a lot of complements about how smooth my truck rides.
  15. nstaricha

nstaricha New Member

the 22s come out to be about $1100 cheaper than the 24s which is looking pretty nice at the moment....anyone know for sure if I can fit 305/45/22 on a stock 2wd 06 silverado? I dont want to order and have them rubbing non stop.
  16. shurshot

shurshot New Member

Good question as I am going to put 22's on my 09 GMC. From what I have read there may be some rubbing but it should be tolerable. Not sure about and 06....?