1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How does the auto 4wd function

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dabel, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dabel

dabel New Member

I've been trying to figure out how the auto 4wd actually functions on my '02 1500. I know that the 4wd stays disengaged until it is needed, but what conditions have to happen before it does engage?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Rear wheel spin will engage the transfer case when you are using Auto 4wd you will always have the front axle engaged. It is better to keep your truck in 2hi unless you are in conditions where you think you will have wheel slip (ergo: snow) but if you are in need of 4wd loke offroad put it into 4wd because the auto function uses a clutch in the transfer case to allow for smooth engagement of the 4wd which over time can wear out or break.
    But basically rear wheel spin at all in auto mode will kick the 4wd on until there is no slip detected.
  3. dabel

dabel New Member

Thanks for the quick response. I have just moved to Oklahoma from the south, and am going to have a bigger possibility of driving on ice and/or snow, so I was just wanting to know how it works. I didn't know about the clutch either. How much can the rear tires slip before the transfer case engages?
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

You wont really notice lets put it that way. it is pretty much immediate.