1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How good is the 5.3L V8 for towing ???

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by carbon black, Mar 16, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. carbon black

carbon black New Member

This effective gear ratio that you mention, exactly what do you mean ??? On my old truck (2004 Nissan Titan with a 5 sp, it had a lower gear ratio of 3.357:1) with my new truck having a 6 sp transmission (3.42 gear ratio) I wonder what the lower gear ratio would be.
    My new truck comes with the HD Trailering equipment which includes an external transmission cooler.
    You mention 13 mpg towing on flat land (I'm assuming that measured using US gallons) - that would translate for me to around 16 mpg (Imperial gallons) which I would consider to be quite good.
    Another question - when my truck comes from the factory - do they put in synthetic fluids ???
  2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member 100 Posts

I don't think so. My 2011 had Dyno oil. I have 21000kilometers on it and will change all fluids to synthetic before I start pulling the travel trailer in May.

So to answer your question...
    How good is the 5.3L V8 for towing ???

Yes it is goodjust stay with in the Payload (GVWR, Axle ratings, GCWR) of the truck. Safety first!
    If you are at it's upper limit slowdwn! Watch your temperatures, especially when up hill! And watch the two car drafting at Daytona( Ah if you watch NASCAR you know what I mean.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've towed a enclosed trailer with a c10 truck , another time with a 240, and again with a cobra and a bike in The bed, I have the 5.3 with 3.73s,idk if its my mods but my truck pulls well even in north ga but I'm not really haul a$$ up there neither
  4. Blackmatter

Blackmatter New Member

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 engine not sure what gears i have but i know my truck is rated to tow 9500lbs. I tow a 32ft travel trailer that weighs 7500lbs dry a few times a year with no problems.
  5. carbon black

carbon black New Member

It looks like you have the same gear ratio as my truck - 3.42. As your trailer weighs 2,000 lbs more than mine, I'm curious - when you're towing what gear are you in (I'm assuming that you have a 6sp auto) and what type of gas mileage do you get (is this measured in US or Imperial gallons) - Do you tow on relatively flat or mountainous terrain
  6. Blackmatter

Blackmatter New Member

Well i live in pa and last summer we went to colonial williamsburg va. I think i adverage about 10 to 12 miles per gallon (us gallons). I do have the 6 speed auto and i do tow in a little of both terrains. I read some where that if you want to get better gas mileage that you should go into manual mode and set the max gear you want to use. ie set it for gear 4. Don't get me wrong you can definitly tell you are pulling something when going up hills. I try to get a running start if i can but i really dont have any problems. It does seem to shift alot if you just keep it in drive.
  7. carbon black

carbon black New Member

I think that's pretty good gas mileage considering the size of your trailer. With my old truck (2004 Nissan Titan), it had a 5.6L V8 and 5sp auto and when towing, the majority of the time I would be in 4th gear but if in 5th (O/D), and it started downshifting, I would just put it back in 4th. With this truck, I was averaging around 13.2 mpg (Imperial) or 11 mpg (US), my average speed around 105 kph (65 mph). So I'm hoping to squeeze another 1 or 2 mpg with my new truck.

I forgot to ask you before - what average speed would you be towing at ???
  8. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

One thing to keep in mind the Titan's 5.6L is rated at 379 lb ft of torque and the 5.3L is rated at 335 lb ft. You will notice the difference when towing.

l
  9. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member 100 Posts

Everyone talks about horsepower, gross weight, gears towing weight, suspension stiffness, air helper springs ect.

All of that is important.

Don't forget about your tires. Your tires are prob a P245/75r16's. possibly. or P265/7516's. Maybe. But you should have at least 5 ply o pref. 6 ply tires to tow your camper. The stock tires are prob not rated for the extra weight. The truck is, but the tires are prob not.
  10. carbon black

carbon black New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is this - torque is what gets a vehicle moving and horsepower is what keeps the vehicle moving. So if I'm correct then my old Titan (from a dead stop) would easily pull away from the Sierra BUT then the Sierra shold be able to hold speed better that the Titan because the Sierra is rated at 325 hp versus my old Titan's 307 hp.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

The tires on my Sierra are P265/65 18's