How good is the 5.3L V8 for towing ???

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by carbon black, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Boonduff

Boonduff Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Maybe if your drag racing, but when you're towing, torque is what maintains your speed when climbing hills or driving into a strong headwind.

2. carbon black

carbon black Member

Well the long weekend is upon us and the test begins - towing my travel trailer on a round trip of about 700 kms - here's where I'll be comparing the Sierra's 5.3 L V8 and 6sp with 3.42 gear ratio with my old Nissan Titan's 5.6 L V8 and 5sp

3. Beau Hart

Beau Hart New Member

I have a 2012 silverado 1500 , 3.42 rear end , heavy duty trailering package , looking at getting a travel trailer with a dry weight of about 7500 lbs , we live in eastern nc which is flat and our main destinations will be flat land , any opinions on this rig ? thanks

4. Beau Hart

Beau Hart New Member

Do you still tow with the same truck ? i have a 2012 with the 5.3 vortec with the 3.42 rear end with the heavy duty trailoring package .. thanks

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Heavy duty trailer package doesn't offer a lot. It is RPO code Z82

The heavy duty cooling package is what you need, RPO code K5L. I think K5L includes KC4 which is engine oil cooler; but I could be wrong.

Actually, even with the above, 7500 dry is a lot of weight.

6. 2000sierra

2000sierra Rockstar

I have a 2000 5.3 , 3.73 gears with towing package and pulled my 6,000 plus pound trailer all day long from Spokane , WA to West Yellowstone which is very high altitude terrain in the summer with no problems. Temp stayed at normal range and averaged 11-13 mpg. Would love to have the 6.2 or diesel but truck is paid off so I'm ok with that. With my cold air intake and magna flow exhaust and Mobil 1 synthetic oil it's a great combination and the engine stays cooler with that oil I believe. Truck on!

7. Beau Hart

Beau Hart New Member

How about stopping?

RayVoy likes this.
  8. 2000sierra

2000sierra Rockstar

Stopping? Brakes on truck and trailer?