How good is the 5.3L V8 for towing ???

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by carbon black, Mar 16, 2012.

1. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

my old landlord has a 2004 silverado with the 5.3. hes a farmer and pulled all kinds of crap with it. i watched him pull a horse trailer out of a frozen puddle, smoking the tires right off it pretty much. ya he abused that truck quite a bit. one day while turning at an intersection pulling a tractor on a trailer his axle broke and came right out! luckily he had the tractor, he lifted the truck up, slid the axle back in then pulled the truck n trailer back quite a ways with the tractor. man when he pulled into his laneway turning left the right axle came out about a foot! craziest thing I ever seen.

yup id agree to stay under the 80% max towing weight, I think thats a great rule!

2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Huh. Must have been a 1500? Wonder what the rest of that third member looked like after toasting the c-clips. The 2500 and 3500 should have floating axles, I think.

Rereading now I'm not sure. Broken axle so maybe the c-clips held if it was the same side both times.

Crap can get real heavy sometimes. :)

Ted

3. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

ya what a mess, it was a 1500 rwd. im not sure exactly what happened inside but an entire new rear end was installed. he was definitely way over weight. he was pulling a Massey Ferguson 390 4x4 with a loader and a chopper on the back. the tractor alone weighs 7266 Lbs according to tractordata.com, plus the loader, chopper and trailer. yup waaaay over weight!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. Josh69

Josh69 Member

Get a 2500 6.0 or the duramax both great work horses. I personally have a 2013 2500hd that does great on interstate. But I don't like the 6 speed for the mountains. And I live in them lol but other than that it's an amazing truck. GM for the win!

5. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

Don't forget the 8.1 will get it done! ;)