1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How-Guide/ Knowledge Base required!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by kayzen, Jun 15, 2012.

1. kayzen

kayzen Member

Hi All,

I was reading through the forums, and i stumbled upon how all you guys have to much experience "what if" you can create a knowledge base based on topic.. for example..

Lifts/Off-road Suspension Tutorial

If these questions can be answered..

- What does it mean to Lift

- What are the advantages/dis-advantages of lift

- What are the types of Lift kits

- How much should you Lift cause/effects per inch.

- What is required like prerequisite.

- Do you need Balancing after the installation.

---------------------------------------------------

I think these are just some questions that I can think of, If some of you or one you could please make some tutorials with PICS for before and after it would be awesome for newbie like me and other too..

Cheers
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

@steve, the administrator, posted a thread about soliciting freelance writers for featured articles and reviews; maybe a topic like this would be a good idea for a featured article? I agree with you though that focusing the knowledge to cover a "how-to" topic would be a good idea. However, there are members out there who have written very detailed threads that may considered be a general "how-to" guide.

i.e. Demystifying HIDs [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...tified...?highlight=demystified#axzz1xpJP6Kum

i.e Lifting your truck series @dirtyDog
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...g-Your-Truck-(part-2)-body-lift#axzz1xpJP6Kum
  3. kayzen

kayzen Member

Yes i saw these How-to Guides, these are great but need some polishing. I was also thinking If we could make like a .PDF so people who are working on their trucks or SUVs can download them and refer to them while they are working...

I know sometimes it a pain in the behind to be working on a vehicle and them you to run back in to refer it online or on YouTube.. i hope someone can relate to me..
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Technology which allows people to avoid the situation you just described ... has existed for a while. Wi-Fi that spans the area in which you're working ... combined with either a shop laptop or a shop tablet ... resolves the problem.

Cost should not be much of a factor considering a functional 3-5 year old laptop that no one wants, anymore, can be had (used) on the super cheap ... and is such a small investment that you should be just as willing to get grease on it (or even risk dropping it) as any other sensitive tool you use while working on the truck.

I might break my multi-meter if I'm not careful with it; the same goes for my shop laptop. Some of the attachments for my Dremel cost about as much as my shop laptop did ... and my multi-meter actually cost me more. I think you get the point: keep a computer near you when working if it's a tool in your arsenal of knowledge when wrenching; there's no good reason not to.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. kayzen

kayzen Member

Oh trust me I agree with you.. I work in the IT and cant live without computer...lol..but I dont like dirtying my electronics...lol... I would rather dirty the paper
  6. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

That is a good idea! In some instances I've had my ipad or phone next to me to watch a how-to video but for the ipad I have to be close enough to the house to hook up to wifi.

I know when I made a how-to on making your own mobile device holder I had to make it a JPG in order to attach it. I don't know how to attach a pdf file, is it possible?
  7. kayzen

kayzen Member

I was an SuperAdmin on many forums, So i can tell on the backend the admin has to enable .pdf file type in the extensions and file a file size to max 50MB and anyone will be able to upload PDF's

Cheers
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This is a very good suggestion! I have toyed around with some type of wiki system with a set group of moderators that would control the publications, but something that could be developed and posted by anyone ... with access for anyone to edit or make community-type edits.

Thoughts?
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Useful if you can get people to pour questions into it that are then sorted (to eliminate duplicates) and answered. Basically you have to stop the common forum post from being used to ask/answer questions ... and, instead, funnel questions through the KB.

Usually there's behind-the-scenes pre-population when switching from a forum or wiki type format to a KB type format ... so that the moment it's unveiled there's useful content from the get-go. The unveiling then tends to entail a forced cessation of questions and answers via other mediums ... so that it's funneled through the KB mechanism and that mechanism grows and becomes more useful as a function of time.

I suspect the problem you'll run into is getting users to stop asking/answering questions outside of such a KB ... and funneling them solely through the KB. And if you don't do this, then you basically have duplicate data (i.e. on the forums and in the KB) ... which renders the KB basically wasted effort ... especially if there's some data on the forums and some in the KB and users have to search both.

This is a classic case of 'go big or go home'. It either needs to be implemented in full or just don't bother. Half-baking it just makes a mess. I say this having learned the lesson, personally, at a corporate level. Tacking a wiki onto a forum entails the same sort of problem -- data in two places to search; two places to ask; two places to answer. If people are just going to post (and answer posts) then what's the point of adding effort to get it into a wiki form? Why not improve your forum search indexes, mechanisms, tools, and prominence instead?
  10. kayzen

kayzen Member

To answer in short i think i might have a scripted clone copy of wikipedia that i can share with you guys if you like and then you can create a sub domain called. wiki.gmtruckclub.com where people can access this required How-to info. how does that sound?

Cheers