1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How hard is it to convert an A/C suburban to Non-A/C?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gt1009, May 28, 2008.

1. gt1009

gt1009 New Member

I know, at first you think that I"m doing it backwards but there is a reason. A few years back a rock got wedged between the frame and one of the A/C hoses in our 98 suburban with the 350. The hose eventually got a hole in it and its a huge undertaking to change the hose. We don't really care about not having the A/C, so the other day I was looking at the belt diagram by the hood latch and there's only one pully different from an A/C truck to a nonA/C. So I was thinking that we would gain a few MPGs by taking off the compressor, maybe making enough money by selling it on ebay to pay for the new pulley, and putting the pulley that a Non A/C truck would have in it's place. Is my idea possible or am I insane?
    Thanks,
    Greg
  2. esponet

esponet Rockstar

you are not going to get any more mpg by removing the compressor. the only thing your really doing is saving the weight. the compressor is on a clutch system, so when not in used the pulley just freewheel.

but to anwer your question, it is possible.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you're in an area that enjoys A/C, you can have the rear A/C system removed from the front AC system and just have front AC. On my 91, before I bought it, the rear AC was disconnected and the lines going to the rear AC capped off in the engine bay, so I still have front AC
  4. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

Shame it is dead, a vehicle with AC is more fuel efficient at speed then one with the windows down. There is a lot more wind resistance with open windows, fixing it should actually pay for its self in the long run.

Phil