1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How hard is it to replace 1-2 solenoid?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cam67, Mar 24, 2013.

1. cam67

cam67 New Member

I got a PO753 code. Any ideas? Tried searching with no luck.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

whats the make and model of said vehicle? 4l60e, 4l80e??

i have changed them in both above mentioned transmissions, very simple and messy. Basically get a big drain pan, get under vehicle loosen all the pan bolts and let all the transmission fluid drain out. Unhook your battery to be safe, you will be able to compare your new solenoid to your old one as they all look different in size and shape. Unplug electrical connector at solenoid, slide old one out put new one in and boom reverse the process. While you have it apart, replace your filter which will actually be covering the valve body when you drop the pan. And clean the magnet which is mounted inside the pan, depending on which transmission 6-8 quarts to refill. $20 part and lots of labor, but you can do it!!
  3. cam67

cam67 New Member

2003 GMC 1500 V6. Not sure about tranny. Just got the truck a few weeks ago.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That would be a 4l60e, and my original post would be correct for the transmission you have. It's not that hard, just very messy and it can be done on the vehicle.
  5. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

Definitely agree on the "not hard just messy" part. I've found the giant aluminum cooking sheets are fantastic for catching the draining. Other than that, a small kids pool slid under the transmission. Without a huge drain pan, I've never been able to take one of those things off without getting fluid everywhere. The first time I did one, it was all over the driveway. If you don't have a large enough drain pan, I recommend purchasing the oil spill cleanup stuff in a bag from the autoparts store. $5 will save you a lot of wiping. LOL

-Skippy.
  6. cam67

cam67 New Member

Thanks for the info. Now I guess I get to get dirty.