Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How hard is it to replace shocks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Barnettamb, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

How hard is it/how long does it take to replace shocks on an 04 tahoe?

2. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sometimes its worth having the place where you bought them install, they will usually do it for free with purchase. They have the lift, the compressor and the tools. Sometimes theres a rust problem with the fittings which complicates the install.

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Tahoe might be a little, but not much harder than my 2000 Silverado. If you have never done them before as I never did until a few months ago, I would figure 4 hours to be on the safe side and once extra set of hands for the front ones tokeep the nut from spinning on you at the top of the shock.

Now that I know how to do it I would say 2 hours max and one extra person to hold the nut on the front ones. I did have to take the car and run to the parts store and get new bolts for the bottom since mine were rusted pretty bad and I broke one.

4. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

thanks guys, i think im going to try it next weekend. I wathced a video on youtube and it didnt look to terrible, so im going to give it a shot.

5. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

i did mine in 30 mins all the way around, i did have the help of harbor freight electric impact to zip everything on and off though. great investment for small jobs 60 bucks i think it was.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Providing you dont have any auto leveling or airide system at home it should take about a 1/2 hour per shock.
    You'll need jack stands, jack, and wrench's.