1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How high to lift 1989 Suburban

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Hayden, May 8, 2012.

1. Hayden

Hayden New Member

Hi Guys

I am new to this site and am also from down in Australia. I have recently bought my new favorite toy
    . TheTruck2.jpg

I believe it is stock height at the moment. I want to put a lift kit on it with bigger tyres. I was thinking of 40-42 inch tyres and a 6 inch lift. I dont know much about this as I have never done it. So any advise on how bad the ride will be driving around town or if that is to high.

Its got an awesome paint job and really to make it look crazy...

Any info or questions. I will probably be buying my gear from America and getting it sent over for self install.

Cheers
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ok to start off luckily you've got a pre 1993 Suburban so it has solid axles and is a touch easier to lift and normally lift parts are less expensive.
    Theres many lift kits available for your truck, when looking at lifts you may have a hard time finding a kit for a Suburban, just look under trucks pre 1988, same suspension.
    You definately have the terraign in Australia for this type truck but I dont know if I would go as high as you plan, first off 6" with 40-42" tires doesnt fit unless your planning on cutting some fenderwell, for the street you could probably get away with it but any time you articulate the axle you will rub a tire.
    And secondly stability, you have some fairly high speed roads in Aus. and this particular truck on 40-42" tires isnt the most stable thing for high speed travel.
    I would probably do the 6" lift but go with 35" tires, by time they get worn and need replacing you'll have figured out if you realy do want to go higher and you should have made your peace with the paint job so you wont feel so bad about cutting it in some strategic places for tire clearance.
    You will need to regear, that choice will need to be made when you decide tire size.
    I would probably look at a few engine modifications too, just to increase HP.
    For lifts start your search with ARB, for you a homegrown company, they have a wide variety of parts and accessories for most off-road trucks, I'm not sure what they offer in the way of lifts but since their in Australia it makes sense to try them first if you can save $$ on shipping.
    Rough Country, Fab Tech, and Sky Jacker are a few U.S. companies to try, although their are so many I cant remember all their names.
    For suspension search ideas one of the best websites/resources I would try is www.4wheelparts.com 4 wheel parts wholesale, they have a great catalog and it's more complete than other vendors, warning though if you want to buy from them they do have issues with shipping charges so if you use them make sure you understand all the charges before buying.
    Good luck sounds like a great project.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 on what tbplus10 said. A friend of mine had an 80' burban on 42's. It was a bada$$ truck. The issues he had was he went through like 3 tranny's. It had a 383 stroker motor. The stability was never a problem that I can remember because of the size of the truck. The one thing I want to remind you of is the height that you are looking at going is getting in and out of a truck that tall. I am 6'1" and it was fun getting in that thing.
    When you do make changes post some pics so we can drool over the beast you are looking to build.
  4. Hayden

Hayden New Member

Thanks guys your help is much appreciated. I am not a tyre guru by any stretch of the imagination.
    My tyres are 31 inches. So if i get 35's does that mean a 4 inch ride increase ??????????? may be a dum question
    Cheers
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

In short No. The overall diameter change is 4". You have to remember half of that will be above the rim while the other half will be below. So you may notice a 2" height increase. And tire size is a nominal number. Just because it says 35 on the side wall the overall height may be more and may be less. That is why if you buy tires it is best to buy all 4 at once. This way you will be more likely to get 4 tires that are close to the same height.
  6. King-Suburban

King-Suburban New Member

We have a 1990 Suburban with 6" suspension and 3" body. This was the most economical least amount of extras we had to. It sits on 12" wide wheels and 38" swampers, they rub with hard flexing on the front fenders. nothing during normal street driving.
    IMG_0817.jpg
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I like how you made the front bumper big enough to stand on and walk from left to right lol
    no fat chicks or zombies could reach you up THAT high
  8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Things to keep in mind when deciding... is it a daily driver? As others said it can get old quick climbing in and out of it. That's one of the main reason I went the way I did. I broke some ribs 2 yrs ago and I would have never been able to climb in...:)))