1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How important to match tread pattern on 4WD?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Family Force 6, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a decent set of Yoko Geolanders (50-60% remaining) on my 99 burban but just got unrepairable damage to one. Of course I can't find a used match.

Discount said they could put a new one on, but I'm thinking that height difference between the new tire and the 3 existing would put strain on the drivetrain.

I've always heard you should keep the exact same tread design on 4WD but I had a used tire place tell me that overall height match was more important. Would it be a mistake to put a different model used tire on that was closer to overall tread height of the other 3 or should I buy a new one and find a place to shave the new tire?

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to avoid buying a whole set of tires.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Honestly if it was mine, i would just buy two brand new tires and keep them on the rear. Then when you rotate them just go from back to front. then when the ones from the fron go to the rear swap sides.

3. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

tread design doesn't mean anything to the drivetrain. just make sure the tires are the same size. If one is brand new and the rest were completely bald you're looking at a radius height difference of less than 3/4". wouldn't worry about it, buy one. and put it on the right rear.

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As noted, overall diameter is more important than tread design. It can be difficult finding one or two tires with the same overall diameter. I found this out years ago on my BII, running 235/75/15. I decided to replace a pair of tires with a different make/model (but still 235/75/15) of used tires. Drivetrain binding was quite noticeable in 4wd.

Tough scenario. Not sure what I'd do. One hates to replace three good tires, but it might be best in the long run. good luck.