Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How is the 2011 silverado 4x4 handle in the snow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jonaha11, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jonaha11

jonaha11 New Member

hey guys, im looking into getting a 2011 chevy silverado LT Z71 package 4x4 but i want to know how it handle in bad weather, snow, rain, ect.

any response helps

Thanks
  2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard. My 2009 handles just fine. We had a lot of snow and ice last winter and almost as much the winter before, and I had no issues. You can get a better winter tire for it and you can be a little more aggressive, but I like driving in the snow with mine.
  3. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I love mine in snow. I take it out when we get bigger storms (8 inches or more) just to play around with it!
  4. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

This vehicle should handle very well in the weather. It should especially well being that you are considering the 4x4. I would recommend text driving the vehicle in variety of conditions to see for yourself. Good luck with your purchase and feel free to contact me with any further questions! Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  5. mkballance

mkballance New Member

My 2010 LT Crew Cab 4x4 handles great in all weather. In 2 wheel drive, 32Kmiles on the tires, it will spin the tires taking off on a hill, but in 4 wheel auto it handles great. I drove through standing water during Irene and no problems. Snow last year was light, but no problems. Too, I drive on my friends grass in 4x4 full time, and never a spinning wheel to tear up the grass.

Kent
  6. newtazewell

newtazewell New Member

Last winter in Illinois my 06 Silverado crew cab 4x4 handled the snow with no problems. About 18" or so with reg on/off road tires. Looking forward to trying out my new 2012 Silverado z71 with a little more agressive tires, gonna be fun when the snow comes.
  7. bama2010z71

bama2010z71 Rockstar

my 2010 handles just fine in the snow, i had nitto terra grapplers last winter and they did great. i love helping people by pulling them out of ditches or up steep hills.
  8. firefighter3215

firefighter3215 New Member

Glad to hear that as well. I traded my '05 Colorado for the new Silverado LTZ and am very happy with it. I have a 5:00 am commute and was wondering about the 4 auto as opposed to the 4 lock. Sounds like I made a good choice.
  9. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Member

Any pickup with an empty bed is going to be relatively squirrelly compared to a 4WD sedan or SUV. Performance also depends on the tires and the stock Bridgestone tires are not a good choice for snow. The Silverado with the limited slip is going to perform better than one without this option. A neat feature of the auto transmission is having an "auto" setting where the trans shifts from 2WD to 4WD as needed which is great when driving on a road where there are patches of snow and stretches of dry road in between them. My Tahoe lacks this feature and I was very happy to see that this was provided with the Silverado.

Not at all sure why but when I bought mine I was given a GM notice that the truck could only be used with cables and not chains or it could void the warranty. Usually cables are required where there is not enough clearance in the wheel wells so why this is a concern with the Silverado trucks is a mystery to me.