How long did your leather seats last?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by TurboChris, Jun 18, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. TurboChris

TurboChris New Member

How long did you leather seats last till they started cracking? When I was looking for my latest Suburban...ALL the ones (94-99) that I saw had trashed leather seats...course they all had 150,000 miles or more so I attributed it to 10+ years of wear and tear. Except when I found the one I bought.....1998 with 65,000 one owner miles....even HIS drivers side was trashed.....so I'm thinking maybe its more age related (over mileage) than I thought....

Anyways...I only ask because I spent about $750 recovering them...now they look great...but just curious when you guys started getting cracks so I know what to expect. And yes, I will be conditioning them once a year or so as I know that will make a noticeable difference.

Thanks!
  2. Naptime

Naptime New Member 100 Posts

I went with cloth for that reason. I looked at several with leather, all in bad shape. I heard that it was an issue with GM leather in general for those years.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The main problem is that it isn't real leather to begin with, it is a cheap grade vinyl interior from the factory. I use Meguires 2 step leather cleaner, and the second step is an aloe conditioner that really opens up the pores of the leather and keeps it soft. My last truck had Katzkin leather seat covers in it, and at 4 years old I never had a crack in them.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have seen a few when looking for an update to the old 88, to a newere truck and just a few had good leather, the rest were torn in the exact same spot. The milage ranged from 130K miles to 250K miles and the milage and age really had nothing to do with i saw. It had a lot to do with how it was taken care of.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The seats in my 97 dont have any cracks after 140K and 13 years, I've used Megiures conditioner/cleaner on them since I bought the truck in 04.
    I've owned other vehicles with leather over the years and have always made a habit of using a Leather Conditioner to keep them soft, pliable, and moisturized.
    If you dont mind a lot of work "Saddle Soap" does an even better job at keeping the seats in great shape. My brother has a 1964 Thunderbird thats been in the family since new and gets saddle soap on the seats at least twice a year, the seats look like new after 170K miles and I couldnt count how many kids spilling and bouncing on them.