1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long do stock spark plugs last?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jayfire, Apr 6, 2010.

1. jayfire

jayfire New Member

I was told that I don't need to change my spark plugs on my 2000 chevy silverado 1500 until it hits 100,000 miles. It has 89,000 now. It still runs fine, but should I change the plugs or leavem' till 100 grand? Thanks
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Chevy States that the plugs are good 100k,.........With that being said I changed my out at 90,000 Miles along with a new set of wires.......I would said put in some new plugs.....All so the Vortec Engine's run better with the A/C Delco iridium Spark plugs.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  3. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

i bought my silverado w/ 20k miles from the dealer. and since then, i never changed the sparkplugs. that being said, my truck now has 155k on the same spark plugs (which i'm guessing is the same one right out of the plant). so 100k should be right around the period of performance.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

100k without regaping or cleaning..what fun is that.:neutral:.The 97 3500 at work burns plugs like crazy 30,000 miles max..
  5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I changed my plugs as soon as i got my truck, because the previous owner never changed them. They lasted 190,000km, divide that by 1.6 to see how many miles.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Its true that vortecs run best on AC DELCO plugs. But mines not a vortec and ive always used Bosch Platinum 4's. They work great.