How long does it take for a computer to re-learn?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Goldie, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been advisied that the on board computer needs to re-learn new settings and "stuff" after making a modification. My questions are about how long does it take? Is it a matter of time with normal driving practices. Cold vs. warm engine start ups, how many? Or what?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What Year Vehicle and What Modification's have you done??

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The relearn on the OBDll trucks ('96 and newer) take about 50-100 miles. The older OBDl could take up to 500 miles.

4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yes... on the trucks, it tends to take about 50-75 miles for the fuel trims and stuff to get relearned by the ecm and settle in... "stuff" being idle, emissions readiness tests, etc etc... but, the emissions readiness tests are by "drive cycles", and not necessarily just by mileage alone...

5. jmanb

jmanb Rockstar

Timely topic. I just installed a lift/level kit on my 2011 Siverado and on first drive I got a stabilitrack error right off the bat. Parked ot overnight after driving it about fifteen miles to get home. Next day I had to drive about another fifteen miles to the alignment shop. No errors until about half way there and then it popped up again. After the alignment, I drove home and didn't get any errors. Do folks think this is the system re-learning after the lift or was it that the alignment was so far off and causing problems (the alignment was pretty bad after the lift with both wheels toed outward).

6. Black & White

Black & White New Member

I have heard of this being a problem if they did not connect the system back properly. If it does not come back on it is a good possibility that the alignment could set it off. I would just keep an eye on it. By the way, how much lift?

7. jmanb

jmanb Rockstar

3.5" lift. Since the alignment, I haven't had any issues. Everything rides nice.

8. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the help, as usual the members helped me learn something new! To answer '99HEARTBEAT's inquiry my truck is an 07 GMC Sierra Classic with the 4.3L. The latest mod that prompted my inquiry was the addditon of a super charger.

9. Magna86

Magna86 Rockstar

Well with a supercharger the ECM will be WTF? lol I'm sure you had a custom tune made for that modification. Now where are out pics and sound clips of a blown 4.3? ;-)

10. jmanb

jmanb Rockstar

If you don't mind me asking, what does it cost to put a super charger in these days and how much does that increase the horse power?