1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long does the tranny fluid need to warm up?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by yogi799, Nov 9, 2013.

1. yogi799

yogi799 New Member

New owner here, 2013 Burb 1500 5.3 4x4 with a towing package, ie. aux tranny cooler. Everything seems great on the truck with one slightly suspicious thing... Is 15-20 minutes not long enough to warm up the tranny fluid to the normal operating temperature (150-200 F)??? It has gotten cold here (40s), but I see my ATF temp get up to maybe 100 F and stay there rather stubbornly (on my usual 15-20 minute trips). Is this warm enough for the tranny to operate at? Is there a thermostat on the ATF cooling system or does it always flow thru the aux cooler ALL the time? Maybe the low temps are not allowing it to warm up?
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Better too cold than too hot

The transmission fluid runs through the trans cooler and also through the rad. I guess that warms it up once the engine comes up in temp. I wouldnt be concerned
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

I installed a tranny gauge in my truck this morning....Its about 35-40 degrees around here too...Went into town to run a few errands. Temp on gauge went to about 125F, that was about it.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Here's a chart of average temperature vs fluid life. Lower temps are better, as long as the ATF stays above 100F you shouldn't have hard shifts really. My Tahoe also has a factory aux cooler and it doesn't seem to have any problems with low fluid temps, but I don't have a temp gauge on it so I'm not sure what temps I'm running.

[​IMG]
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

^^^^^^^cool chart of Info.. thanks for sharing.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

i wish forum runner had a thank button lol at pepboys, we recommended the average fluid/filter exchange for every 45-50k miles