How long is everyone getting out of their shocks?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by nickgiacalone, Mar 9, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member 100 Posts

My truck has close to 70k on it, just wondering when everyone has needed shocks. I do not do much towing or hauling. I do however live in Michigan and drive on a lot of gravel roads, which I don't exactly drive slow on. Seems like most of the trucks in the fleet at work get shocks every 40k or so, but, they do a lot of trailer pulling and plowing so I know that is not a good comparison.
  2. sierra11

sierra11 New Member 100 Posts

If you aren't doing much hauling or towing they should last for awhile. I tow my 24' boat every weekend or so from May till September and haven't had to replace mine. I'm at 117k miles and my dads F-150 Fx4 use to be the one doing the pulling for 10 years and hasn't had to touch the suspension yet. He just hit 180k
  3. nickgiacalone

Thanks! I thought they'd last a while. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned, always leased, so I'm new to the "long term" maintenance.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are they Bilsteins? If so unless they are leaking or broken then they are good for 100K +
  5. nickgiacalone

I don't know what brand they are. I'd imagine ACDelco. Whatever stock shocks are one a 09 2500HD 4x4 with the plow prep package and gas motor.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Take a look when you can I know GM went cheap on the newer Z71's Pkg's. and use RAncho now. I switched mine over to Bilstein's at about 70K
  7. nickgiacalone

I'll throw it on the hoist Monday and check it out.
  8. 95C1500

95C1500 New Member 100 Posts

I just replaced mine at 70k when I installed the lift kit...
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My Bilsteins to my knowledge have about 198,600+ miles on them.... Need new ones soon but they last a while.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've only had to replace the shocks on one of my trucks (1989 Isuzu). IMO shocks on pickup trucks last a LONG time.

If you haul a LOT of weight all the time, then the shocks will wear out a little faster.