1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long is everyone getting out of their shocks?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by nickgiacalone, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

My truck has 167,000 miles including towing and hauling...still has the factory shocks. No leaks, no bouncing....
  2. steved

steved Former Member

While they may still "work" and not show leaks; a new set of shocks will sure feel different!
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I've not had my Bilsteins long enough to know how long I'll get out of them. ~17k miles on them, so far, and loving them. They replaced a set of craptastic shocks that apparently came with the Fabtech lift kit. Those suckers were toast when I bought the truck...
  4. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Agreed! I compared the ride on my truckto a friends F-350 and mine is definitly rougher. Maybe I shouldbreak down and spend the $$ on new shocks. LOL
  5. 3Horses

3Horses New Member

I have 60,000 miles on my 2011 1500 and I can tell my shocks are starting to get a bit "soft", I'm going to replace them with Bilsteins when it comes time to replace the tires. For which I still have 7/32's tread life on the stock tires.

I put Bilsteins on my 2006 2500HD with the Duramax when my truck had 7,500 miles and I now have 124,000 miles and there still holding up fine. I pull a ton with that truck from small "bumper Pulls' to 48 footer gooseneck horse trailers. approx. 80,000 miles of that are with a trailer. I love Bilsteins, IMO they are the best shock made.
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I replaced my OE shocks when my truck hit about 130,000 miles, and, I'm not entirely sure they needed to be replaced. When I asked around, the consensus was that unless they were leaking or the ride was just absolutely terrible, then they were fine. Mine were not leaking and the ride was fine. I replaced them because I wanted to.