1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long will you keep your current GM vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyBoy2009, Jul 11, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well I had my old truck 12 years old before I bought my 2011 Chevy, and the old truck is still in the driveway and gets driven at least once a week so judging by that I'll have this truck long after I get tired of the paint color.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

When I bought my Avalanche, I planned on being able to keep it about 5 years and be able to sell it with less than 200,000km so that it wouldn't hit that sharp depreciation that comes with that point in the mileage. BUT, I've put almost double my usual mileage on in the year that I've had it, so it looks like i might have to sell it within the next year to year and a half if I want to get a decent value back out of it.
  3. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan New Member

No plans of trading/selling Red Dust. I've only had the truck for 2 years and I tend to hold on to my vehicles.

-J

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  4. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

I plain on keeping mine for 7-9yr before I get a new Silverado if I trade it in or if still running like a champ I will keep and by a new Rubicon then.
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

I will keep mine until the wheels fall off, I bought exactly the truck I wanted, fixed it up the way I wanted and now it is time to enjoy it until it wont go anymore. To answer your question I figure with the miles I have on it now and the number of miles I put on it each year "about 35000 a year" I will likely have it about 5 more years. I love my truck and I don't like talking about it's pending demise. :sign0020:
  6. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

35,000 miles a year, are you in sales, lol jk.

My dad bought my truck new in 93, and passed it on to me once I got my license at 17. Driving her today and about to roll over 165,000. She was passed down around the 100k mark and everything started to go wrong once I started college. Fuel pump went out, starter, alternator, needed new tires, radiator, water pump, ball joints, etc. Friends and family called it a money pit, but I called it a love. To answer the question, I love my truck and have no plans on selling or getting rid of it, even if shes becoming a little rusty. It adds character, lol
  7. AnimalYates

AnimalYates New Member

This is exactly what I plan to do, donyms. Your truck is definitely a work of art and I wouldn't want to get rid of it either!

I plan on keeping mine until MUCH further notice. Ideally, I would like to own it sometime (will be financing for awhile lol).

OR

If I fall in LOVE with the upcoming body style Silverado/Sierra and have to have one. I know my truck will be worth alot on a trade so that may be a future option. I also just might want a Duramax... :glasses:
  8. IanF

IanF Member

I keep all my vehicles as long as I feel they are reliable. I average 8-10 years for mine and 15-20 years for the wife's since we switched back to the big three.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

I will keep this truck for 5+ years!
  10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

I plan on trading mine in later this year or early next year. I planned on keeping for many years as it is paid for but have had so many warrantable issues , that Gm has been slow to take care of, that I am looking to see if a change will be better in the long run. Who knows what the future will bring.
    I write this as I am sitting in a Ford dealership waiting for service on company vehicle. Oh do I feel uncomfortable. Just blocks away my truck sits at the CHevy dealership trying to get issues resolved. With a little GOOD luck maybe all things will work out.