How low is low oil pressure?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Six point, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Six point

Six point Member

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ,6.0 gas,with about 122 k (75,000 miles).Everything is perfect except the oil pressure gauge reads just above 20 psi. at idle,then just under 40 psi at highway speed.That's 135 and 265 kpa up here in Canada.Is this within acceptable limits? Seems low for a truck carrying a premium price tag.Any input is greatly appreciated as I'm about to put a deposit down.Thanks.

2. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I know the older trucks oil pressure gauges had low readings at times but I would look into why its at 20psi for a 2010. Trucks been driven a lot for only 2 years old.

3. Six point

Six point Member

Lots of miles on a 2010, for sure.With only 2000hrs on the clock.That would tell me its spent a bunch of time on these long straight highways up here.
    Actually the gauge reads 23 psi at hot idle .After spending some time digging around on google ,it turns out that its a fairly common problem with 6.0 liters and within GM specs.Does anyone else have these kind of readings?

4. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

I never owned a truck that new. My experience tells me you want ten psi of oil pressure for every thousand rpm the engine is at. You should never buy a used truck without seeing it start from cold. That's when you will see how much it smokes and how easy it starts. Highway miles are ok, if it was used decently. Drive it and look for bad manners, anything from steering wheel wobble, pulsing brake pedal, blue smoke on hard take off, dim lights, bubbles in the cooling system, tires worn down on the outer edge, are all signs of impending shop time. If at all possible, GET A WARRANTY!
    Brian L.

5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

That's not bad for a hot idle, especially considering it's probably running 5w-30.

6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Every Chevy I have driven has been about 20 PSI idle and 40 at cruise jumping up to about 60 in passing gear.

7. Six point

Six point Member

Thanks for the response ,guys. They want $33k for this truck .I've never spent even close to that kind of money on any vehicle let alone a used truck.
    My old 6.0 litre in my '02 Silverado 1500 HD gets 35 psi at hot idle and almost 60 at cruising speed.It has 214,000 miles on it!I guess I was expecting a little more out of a newer truck with less miles.

8. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

I would!
    Brian L.