1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many carry emergency Equipment and what do you carry?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, May 5, 2007.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Dont know how to make a poll so here goes:
    After watching a multi car roll over accident at hwy 820 & 287 merge last night at 1am I was a little dumbfounded to find very few motorists carry emergency items in their vehicles. Out of 11 vehicles stopping to assist I was the only one that had any type of equipment to help (other than cell phones which every one carries these days and are usually contributory to an accident).
    Who all carries Emergency Equipment in their vehicle and what do you carry?

I carry:
    A fully stocked tool bag with wrenches, duct tape, zip ties, screw drivers, wire, connectors, sockets, and an assortment of other odd things.
    1gl jug of water
    2qts of oil
    6 road flares.
    2, 2.5lb halon fire extinguishers
    A large prybar
    2 flashlights
    A 1 gal collapsable fuel can (empty)
    A stocked medical kit
    A spare jack
    A thermal blanket
    And a 2x4x24 in piece of wood

I have a kit in each of our daily drivers, all the equipment is secured in cubby holes or strapped down so it doesnt fly around in case of an accident. The whole kit weighs less than 50lbs.
  2. hotwheels93

hotwheels93 New Member

Tire iron, jack, water, oil, jumper cables, and assorted tools...
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I carry a first aid kit, small road side tool kit, jumper cables and neat stuff called sap tape (used for waterproofing cable splices) Cell phone too to call for HELP!....Hey Mom its me can you come get me I seem to have broke down...:he:
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I have a store bought kit that has:

- small tool set
    - first aid kit
    - air compressor
    - small blanket
    - flares
    - jumper cables
    - tow strap

We usually have something to drink and/or eat in the vehicle. We beef up the emergency stuff if we take a long trip with extra blankets, water, sunblock, etc.
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Don't forget the Duck tape

Where I go, breaking down isn't usually what kills ya, it's not have enough food and water to wait for help to arrive. I take two gallons of water, jerky, tuna fish, and trail mix. Other items I carry:

1. Parachute (for instant shade and extra visibility)
    2. Signaling mirror.
    3. Axe
    4. Shovel
    5. Tire plug kit
    6. Compressor
    7. Flares
    8. Tow strap & chains
    9. High lift jack
    10. First aid kit
    11. Big floppy hat
    12. Duck tape
    13. Tool kit
    14. Hand held GPS (just in case I have to walk out)

I also carry a wireless phone that isn't the same as the one I have service with. That way if my network isn't available and can always call 911 from the alternate.
  6. tbplus10

Never heard of that tape. Is it pretty good for waterproofing? Where can it be purchased?
  7. tbplus10

If I'm going off-road my kit looks similar. I throw in MRE's for food. I used to use vehicle mounted GPS's but after an incident a few years ago where I found out the hard way that my GPS wouldnt work unless it was hooked to a 12v battery that I didnt want to drag 5 miles through the woods I switched to handhelds. The Off road club I'm in requires us to have a CB installed in the truck and I always carry a handheld CB along with a cellphone.
  8. mr.copenhagen

mr.copenhagen New Member

lol well im afirefighter..so i basically got everything needed to get help or to help someone out if needed
  9. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm not sure its for hydro and Cable splicers. I've never seen it in stores. I'd have to ship you some....:biggrin:
  10. tbplus10

I have a close friend that lays fiber optic and cable, he got me a roll.