1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many miles before you change your oil? oil change interval.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by PaUltraBob, Jun 14, 2010.

1. PaUltraBob

PaUltraBob New Member

I run amsoil SS 0w30 oil in my 2009 silverado and was wondering how many to put on it before I change it. I'am running a stock GM oil filter. Thanks for the help, PaUltraBob:neutral:
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Not sure on Amsoil, check with your rep on that. I run Castrol from my local service department, just moved to High-mileage and I'm averaging about 5,000 between oil changes with a new filter, chasis lube as well.

I get a new air filter about every 15,000 miles too.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

I live by the "3 months or 3,000 miles" rule.
  4. al96chev

al96chev New Member

Per GM maintenance schedules

3000 if hard on it, city driving etc

7500 if easy on it
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Relatively new engine you could easily go 6000 with a quality oil like Amsoil if not more. Oil Analysis is the best way to know for sure. But ditch the AC filter. They are made by Champ labs, who make all the other garbage filters.

Mobil 1 filters and K&N are the same filter, very high quality. Both available at AutoZone.

WIX/Napa Gold are also very good filters, and about half the price of the Amsoil/Donaldson.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

I always use Napa Gold or K&N oil filters. They are some of the best.
  7. RVJ

RVJ Member

AC Delco filters, Valvoline dino oil every 3000 miles.
  8. chancek31

chancek31 New Member

Whether the engine has the ability to go 12,000 miles on a change or not, I would never go past 5,000. And that's pushing it for me.
  9. RedChevy

RedChevy New Member

I go about 5000 and during hunting season maybe 3000. But I know one thing dont trust the oil life meter. A friend of mine that works for GM said they have had people come in with messed up engines because they relied on the oil life meter.
  10. TURBO2

TURBO2 New Member

As long as you are checking your oil level and the oil looks good you can run the Amsoil 0-30 for 1 year or 35,000 miles which ever comes first. But change the stock oil filter to an Amsoil EA oil filter and top off the little bit you lose that way the filter has the same endurance as the oil. If you do the oil & filter change at the same time you don't have to keep changing out the filter. The myth that dino oil has to be changed every 3,000 miles was developed by the oil companies years ago to create more sales. It was one of their best idea's and it's still working. Millions of people making billionaires richer and themselves poorer.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010