How many miles can I expect

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by tbplus10, Jan 21, 2010.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not exactly a Topkick but heres some shots of the GM 350 engine in one of our 22' Isuzu box trucks at my office:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She aint pretty but today was a birthday of sorts for her, she rolled over 350,000 miles without a major mechanical issue.
    At this point she's had 2 alternators, 2 fuel pumps, left side exhaust manifold, 4 injectors, plug wires X2, plugs x4, and the A/C compressor replaced.
    She's been treated to oil changes every 7000 miles needed or not, and coolant changes every 40,000 miles.
    She currently suffers from ticking lifters, slipping trans, looses 1qt of oil every 1000 miles, and the HVAC fan suddenly got finnicky about when it turns on.
    Thats the factory 700R4 behind her which has never failed, it gets a trans fluid change every 40,000 miles.
    The truck is a 2002 Isuzu NPR that was recieved November 2001 with 47 miles from Fort Worth Isuzu Industrial Power along with her sister that currently operates out of the shop with 297,000 miles and a similiar maintenance and repair record. Both trucks are driven daily anywhere from 10 to 200 miles carrying an avg of 5600lbs in city and hwy traffic, both avg 12mpg.
    She'll stay on the road until the engine dies, maybe longer depending on repair cost.

So the answer to your question of how many miles can I expect from my GM engine is I dont know but if you take a moderate amount of care it'll last a long time.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

3. shivam

shivam New Member

hey.....
    good thought..
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Makes me optimistic about my 214,000 mile 1998 Suburban.It uses maybe 1 qt per 3500-4000 miles-(roughly normal).
    Which variety of fuel injection does it have? I gotta confess it looks like a little carb which would mean TB- but I wouldn't figure they would use that in 2001?

Thanks
    Charlie
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Im optimistic as well and im under 200K still, but i sold one last year that had 320K on it.. And that is a vortec.. If you look just behind the air intake you can see the fuel lines going to the spider injector...
  6. tbplus10

Well today she was logged at 384,000 miles and she does need a little maintenance, infact I just scheduled for her to go to Fort Worth Industrial Isuzu on monday morning.
    The distributer lost a bolt lobe that holds the dist. cap on, not sure how it broke off but she started missing last week, I got it temporarily fixed with a couple zip ties around the dist. and dist. shaft to keep the cap down tight.
    And the PCV valve and plastic fitting at the valve cover cracked last week causing a real bad vacuum leak, monster tape took care of that until she gets to the shop.
    All in all still a great investment on a truck.
    Oh and she's upto 2 qts of oil between 7000 mile oil changes.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Take's a licking but keeps on ticking.
  8. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For some reason now I'm envisioning a slow motion shot of an Isuzu on a construction site with Seger's voice "Like a rock...."...
  9. tbplus10

Corporate HQ sent a message a few months back that all our trucks have to go to 500K before we replace them so this truck better be like a rock.
    I just gotta figure a way to get my Techs to check the oil at the start of every shift. Probably gonna have to fire someone to get my point across.
    In the last 4 months (that I know of) this truck has been found 5 times with just enough oil to cover the tip of the dipstick.
  10. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not that I'm a backwoods mechanic....but if I were you I'd find this the perfect reason to get a length of 1" diameter tubing and route it to the cab of the truck with a funnel epoxied to the end. Have several quarts of oil in the cab, under the seat or something...

:D