1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how many miles left when the gas light comes on?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by tbjosh, Jul 9, 2005.

1. tbjosh

tbjosh New Member

So that's my question ... anyone know about how many miles i can get or how many gallons of gas is left when the fuel light comes on?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's a good question.

I think it depends on the year and the size gas tank you have.

I have a 2002 with a 18 gallon tank. That's too small, so they made it bigger on later years.

I think that when it hits E, I still have 3 gallons left.
  3. bmm354

bmm354 New Member

I agree with Steve -- there should be around 2.5 - 3 gallons left when the light comes on, based on my experience with other vehicles. So figure that you've got about 40 miles worst-case scenario when the light first comes on.

At the lowest level I ever let my Envoy get to the Driver Info Ctr computer showed a range of 59 miles, but I can't remember if the low fuel light was on or not. I think it was.

FYI - It's not a good idea to let the tank get below 1/4, and not only for the obvious reason of running out and being stranded. :lol: Below 1/4 tank the gas can slosh around enough that the fuel pickup tube is exposed (no longer covered in gas) which could cause stalling. Also, gas helps cool the fuel pump too, and more heat = shorter pump life.
  4. tbjosh

tbjosh New Member

haha ... yeah ... I know better than to let it run that low. I was just wanting to get a more accurate reading for gas mileage. Turns out I get more mpg out of my TBlazer with the I6 engine than my Wrangler with a 4 cyl. and 33in. tires.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been more than pleased with my TB's fuel economy.

For 275 HP to push a good sized SUV around and still get nearly 20 MPG highway. That's just plain fantastic.