1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many miles on your truck,what's your secret?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 178kchevy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. 178kchevy

178kchevy Member

Just curious! How many miles do ya'll have on your Chevys/GMCs and what are you doing to get that kind of mileage? I was reading about the man with the Silverado that had a million miles on one K&N air filter on the same motor. It would be interesting to see what kind of response this gets as I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know!!
  2. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

secret.... buy a chevy.

regular maintenance fluid and filter changes. and dont rat bag it
    i got 210000 km on my 04 and it still drives like new
  3. Hamelfire

Hamelfire Member

only 6000 on my 08 but change oil filter and oil every 3-4000, air filter once a year. Plugs and wire every 2-3 years with cap and rotor in needed. Use a good oil and good filters. Also keep the engine pretty clean. Just what I do. I got 200,000 on my 98 and wife has 120,000 on the cavalier.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

26K on mine but regular maintenence and know your truck through and through. Treat her good and she'll treat you good.
  5. kaiah723

kaiah723 Rockstar

regular maintanance is key. i had a 98 Blazer 4.3l that i beat the hell out of for 5 straight years. i went threw 3 rear ends from blowin donuts and drifting and i had 320,000 miles on it and it was still going when i traded it in. all i ever did to the engine was intake manifold gasket once and change the oil every three thousand miles. i only changed the plugs and wires once the 5 years that i owned it.
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

187000 KM or about 116000 miles
    on a 1996 GMC 1/2 ton.

Regular oil changes and pay attention to rattles, squeaks and noises....its the truck talking to you!
  7. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

2003 Silverado - About 99,500 miles. I bought it back in October '08 with about 83,500 miles on it. I put on roughly 40,000 miles/year due to work and because of that I religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles and use a high mileage full synthetic. I do weekly maintenance checks and keep a written record. I'm a little picky when it comes to my truck. LOL
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

no secret for me:lol:. about 275,000km on my 2001, and still fairly strong. As my stepdads work truck until about a year and a half ago, it had not been maintained very well. oil changes were late, spark plugs, fuel filter, and battery were original until last year, and tranny fluid was black and never changed until last summer. Its a wonder the thing still runs (at probably at least 90-95% of new) the way it was maintained. It has been a good truck though and is still going strong.
  9. skinut88

skinut88 New Member

milage secret

two parts trucks lol :great: and alot of oil changes and wrench time
  10. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My 1989 SILVERADO SPORT truck has 272,000 miles on it. I got it when it had 90,000 on it and added a K&N air filter, Flowmaster Exhaust, and i have changed out all the sensors on it and the water pump 3 times, the starter once, the transmisson was rebuilt at 168,000 miles and all i have ever put in it was Mobil 1 motor oil.

My wife's 1998 SUBURBAN now has 230,000 miles on it, we got it with 150,000 milles on it. Had to rebuild the transmission at 178,000 K&N on it also and only running Mobil 1 in it as well. she drives around 600 miles a week on her truck for back and forth to work but hey it's paid for so she can drive it till it drops, I'll fixer up again and put her back on her way all over again.

My 1999 TAHOE LIMITED has 138,000 on it, got it last february (2008) with 115,000 miles on it only run Mobil 1 in it and have a K&N on it now too. the previous owner only ever ran mobil in it also so I am not only sticking with what i know works but i am also carrying on his tradition and I am also putting Lucas in everything just like the other guy did because it helps.

Our 2000 ASTRO AWD van has a K&N on it too but I run regular Delvac in it because it's just pretty much a yard truck now that we keep around because it's 4wd and it has 288,000 miles on it so no expense for the mobil 1 for it.. plus it only gets run every 6 months or so.

I am doing a 350 engine swap for my son in his 1988 S-10 BLAZER 4wd and converting it over to 2wd also and i'll run a K&N in it and mobil 1 also so he'll have it a while also.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009