Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many of you actually look for Dexos1 approved oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by steved, May 3, 2012.

1. steved

steved Former Member

Just bought a 2012 2500HD with a 6.0L.

Looking through the owner's manual, it states use Dexos1 approved oils...that really limits the oil you can use. Several name brand options I would use are not on the "approved" list, although I would hazard a guess they meet or exceed because they met the older GM specifications. The 2011s state you can use an API rated oil in substitution, but no mention of that for a 2012.

GM is charging $0.09/quart of oil for the Dexos1 approval...so we are paying GM for an oil they approve? Sounds like just another way they can generate income?

How many actually pay attention to the Dexos rating and just run a quality oil?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I run what I like in my truck and am not paying GM a surcharge for a hokey approval.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The Dexos approval are simply a list of bech marks an oil must meet to get the Dexos stamp of approval. You might find this article interesting.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001860939.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Penzoil and Quaker State all have Deoxs rated oils also. On one of the performance truck sites some of the members buy a Mobile 1 OIL that is Dexos at oriellys auto parts.
  4. steved

steved Former Member

See that's just it...I have ran Schaeffer for the last five years...have the UOAs that show it works well. I talked with them yesterday, and they indicated that GM doesn't even want oils to state "meet" or "exceed" the Dexos rating, either they are approved or nothing.

I have a local guy that sells Amsoil...probably the route I will go after I do a couple "normal changes to flush things out.
  5. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Oils, and filters.... gm and all other manufactures John Deer, Cummins, Ford, Polaris etc. it doesn't matter which they all have finally figured out that there is no money in selling iron, no mater what your preference on iron is (trucks cars tractors) they make the the lions share of the profits on after initial sale, service and parts and warranty work.
    Now we the buying public need to be attracted to make a 60,000.00 dollar purchase , so they offer us a warranty, this warranty cuts into the profit so they put very rigorous qualifications on these warranties..... Such as what oil to use and filters, recommended shops and all kinds of things, to make sure this income comes their way.....

Now I know that the GM or John deer filters I buy and use, are made by Baldwin, or fram, and painted to suit the company with the warranty.....But while the equipment is on warranty i am forced to by these same filters at a inflated cost for some fancy paint..... this guaranties my warranty will remain valid.
    And realistically speaking I need that warranty, the equipment we run daily is very expensive to fix, so until that warranty period is over i am forced to use the recommended oils, fluids, and filters, the day the warranty is over, we go to our shop stock of these products, and do the work ourselves and save around 50% of the dealerships cost.... and have yet to have any related problems....

Ok hold on for this one, I don't know if you have ever really read or could understand any warranty agreement, from any manufacture. they are out there,,,, bumper to bumper,,, 3 full years,,,, 200000km..... well hold on it isn't like that at all......
    I was at My GM dealership last spring, and I do a fair bit of business with them, and was shocked as i was waiting for some parts, and over heard a customer and the service manager, discussing a warranty issue on a newer Car, purchased at the same dealership..... GM had Voided the warranty on this vehicle , as to some body work that was done at a shop other then a GM accredited shop..... the customer stated that this is a mechanical issue and nothing to do with the body work,,,,But the warranty was Voided By GM........ and if the dealership did cover these needed repairs under warranty it would be out of their own pocket .....I am sure the dealership has a slush fund for situations like this, for their preferred customers.....but all in all,,,its wrong...

In closing if you intend to use the warranty on any product read very closely the terms of this warranty, and comply with every demand the company makes, as this will give you the best chances of actually being able to use the warranty if ever needed..... It is sad but true.......
  6. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Use what you want. As long as it is the proper stuff they will not be able to tell the difference.
  7. steved

steved Former Member

What's "the proper stuff"? API SN? Dexos 1? Full Synthetic?

That's my issue...the Dexos 1 "qualification" is meaningless...GM even weasel words the owner's manual to state Dexos 1 or equivalent. What is equivalent?? You need something to base that qualification on.
  8. steved

steved Former Member

Hmmm...

http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Ehhh, I'll probably find something that has dexos1 stamped on it at this point...

Amsoil is playing the old "it exceeds, but we're not paying for licensing" thing; so its likely out. Schaeffer won't commit either way.

The joys of owning a new vehicle...
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

As some of the others have stated run a quality synthetic oil. Schaefers, Mobil 1 etc. I agree the joys of a new vehicle and that being said if you are more comfortable initially making sure to run the dexos do it. Its kinda like having to run autotrak II or dexron fluid. Not sure why except they say you have too.
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I run Mobil 1 in my 11'. If it voids my warranty I will deal with that when the time comes.