How many of you actually look for Dexos1 approved oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by steved, May 3, 2012.

1. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

It's not a BMW. Running the regular stuff won't make it throw any rods. :D

2. steved

steved Former Member

I believe Mobil 1 is dexos1 rated...

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

if it is mobil 1 is a great synthetic oil and is not very expensive

4. steved

steved Former Member

Understood, I just don't like being limited in oil choices...there are only about four name brands that are on the dexos1 "list" that I have actually ever seen in a store.

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

John deere drives me crazy with all their maintiance shanagans. Sometimes I wish our old Massey ferguson still ran even though it wouldn't pull my Bailer or seeder

6. zman4fsu

zman4fsu New Member

7. steved

steved Former Member

Understood, but they can question the warranty of any part related to a engine lubrication issue if a non-dexos oil is used...at the moment, I actually value my warranty! From the research I did, the dexos1 standard is actually better than the API SN, the new ACEA, and the G5...how much better is questionable, but several places indicated it was better.

I actually decided on Mobil 1 Extended Performance...$115/12 quarts was hard to take, considering I bought five gallons of another full synthetic for not much more than those three!!! But I am also still hung on the old truck...14 quarts per change, and (at one time) 50k miles per year. I'm going to be lucky to change the oil twice a year in this truck based on the OLM, which should be right about 7500 miles if I took it right to zero.

I did the oil change this past Sunday, definitely need to find a filter cup for future changes. The oil drained very dark, and very thick (?), for only 1500 miles. I would have assumed a new engine would have sheared the initial oil fairly quickly, and it would be thinner from the shearing and fuel dilution (rings not seated). It was metal-flaked, which isn't surprising...the filter didn't have anything surprising in it.