How many of you are left foot brakers?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by stchman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman New Member

Apparently the Fiat 500 has a feature that nearly disables the engine when the brake and accelerator are depressed at the same time on automatic transmission models.

I found this out when I was riding with a friend that owns one. He had to stop, turn the engine off and on again to reset this condition.

I mentioned to him that if he used his right foot only to brake and accelerate then he would not have to worry about it.

This begs the question as to how many people out there are left foot brakers. I personally don't know how ANYONE could get into this habit at all. I learned to drive using a manual transmission, so the left foot was clutch only. When I started buying automatic transmission cars, the left foot is just along for the ride.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

i do it on occasion on long trips when my right leg is tired, but only a little when the road is open.

but otherwise, the left foot is for clutches, or maybe the left brake on tractors....

Alex
  3. stchman

stchman New Member

I knew a driving instructor that failed a friend of mine for using his left foot on the brake.

My driver education teacher in high school really frowned upon it as well.
  4. Discovery

Discovery New Member

I have been doing it for years,with the left foot.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I was taught to never use my left foot. They say that it takes longer for your brain to send the signal to lift your right foot and then press down your left. Your brain can send the signal to lift, pivot and press down one foot faster. I don't know how true this is, I have heard it many times. There was talk about mandating that the brake and throttle pedal pressed together would result in shutting down the motor. This was back when there were major issues with the Toyota runaway cars. I would hate to have that feature on my truck. I have pressed the brake and gas together when launching or pulling my boat out of the water. I have been on some steep launches that when the weight of the boat gets on the trailer it wants to pull my truck into the water. So I have not choice but the press the gas and slowly lift my foot off of the brake. If my truck had the throttle/brake interlock, it would be on the bottom of a lake right now,
  6. stchman

stchman New Member

Doesn't your SLE have cruise control? If yes, that will alleviate your tired right leg.

- - - Updated - - -

I learned to drive a car with a manual transmission and putting your left foot on the brake is just something I never do.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

My dad yelled at me not to do both feet when i was 16 and learning to drive and i don't think i ever have done it since then, with the exception of being on a hill.

I agree, i also have gone up a steep incline with a load and have started and have to brake and gas exchange to keep the vehicle from rolling back.
  8. Discovery

Discovery New Member

I am not sure why I use the left foot on the brake these days. I was taught on a 2 door land cruiser 3 on the tree when I was 12.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

I have a friend that uses her left foot to brake. It's so weird to watch. However, I do some braking with my left foot in certain situations like crawling up inclines from a stop and for torque management.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

People who can't drive stick tend to be the ones with this habit...

I'm not one of -those people-.
  11. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

I also brake with my right foot unless I need to prevent from rolling back but even after I have forward momentum I switch back to the right foot. My dad always taught me to brake with the right foot. I have a buddy of mine that he brakes with his left foot. I have tried to brake with my left foot and I just can't do it. It takes me too long to brake and even when I do I either brake to hard or to soft. I did however do this just to see if I could and where no one was around so that I made sure I didn't put anybody in danger. :)
  12. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

lol, I tried it today also! I had the same result, either to hard or to soft. My left foot is for a clutch.
  13. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I have only driven a few manual's but I learned to drive using both feet and my driving instructor was pissed off about it and wanted to fail me for it.

I would love to see some clinical information on how the brain reacts having to use the right foot or both feet cause I think its a load of crap.

You can train people do complete a process any way you want and once they are use to it, they react faster with the method they are comfortable with.

If we really want to get technical about it, it does take longer to take one foot off of one pedal and move it to the other one than to use the foot that isn't doing anything in the first place.

You just don't want to press both pedals at the same time.:rofl:
  14. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

I am a left-footer....have been for over 25 years......never had a problem.
    Yeah, bad habit I suppose, but I can drive stick or Tractors or 7 Ton with
    no issue from being a lefty on Automatics....Brian
  15. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

I do sometimes, but most of the time if i do it is right after i have burned out and just too lazy to move my foot so i just us it as the brake foot.
  16. stchman

stchman New Member

So when you step into a vehicle with a manual transmission you go from left foot braker to right foot braker with perfect seamlessness?
  17. Vallez93

Vallez93 New Member

My dad did the same thing, when I was learning to drive and broke me of the habit pretty quickly and then when I started driving manual I realized why my dad had been so serious about braking with my right foot.