1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many of you are left foot brakers?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by stchman, Dec 17, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

I also brake with my right foot unless I need to prevent from rolling back but even after I have forward momentum I switch back to the right foot. My dad always taught me to brake with the right foot. I have a buddy of mine that he brakes with his left foot. I have tried to brake with my left foot and I just can't do it. It takes me too long to brake and even when I do I either brake to hard or to soft. I did however do this just to see if I could and where no one was around so that I made sure I didn't put anybody in danger. :)
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

lol, I tried it today also! I had the same result, either to hard or to soft. My left foot is for a clutch.
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have only driven a few manual's but I learned to drive using both feet and my driving instructor was pissed off about it and wanted to fail me for it.

I would love to see some clinical information on how the brain reacts having to use the right foot or both feet cause I think its a load of crap.

You can train people do complete a process any way you want and once they are use to it, they react faster with the method they are comfortable with.

If we really want to get technical about it, it does take longer to take one foot off of one pedal and move it to the other one than to use the foot that isn't doing anything in the first place.

You just don't want to press both pedals at the same time.:rofl:
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

I am a left-footer....have been for over 25 years......never had a problem.
    Yeah, bad habit I suppose, but I can drive stick or Tractors or 7 Ton with
    no issue from being a lefty on Automatics....Brian
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

I do sometimes, but most of the time if i do it is right after i have burned out and just too lazy to move my foot so i just us it as the brake foot.
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So when you step into a vehicle with a manual transmission you go from left foot braker to right foot braker with perfect seamlessness?
  7. Vallez93

Vallez93 New Member

My dad did the same thing, when I was learning to drive and broke me of the habit pretty quickly and then when I started driving manual I realized why my dad had been so serious about braking with my right foot.