how many people....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5speedsilverado, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

go by when their truck says in the cluster "oil change required"

just curious

2. Bikeman

Bikeman Member

I change mine every 3k. So I know theres good oil in there all the time. The oil life monitering system that GM uses COULD put you changing your oil at 10k miles and thats crazy. I believe that they are trying to reduce the ownership cost of the vehicles to compete with toyos and dodges. I figure that they figure if you change you oil every 10k...the engine won't fail till after the warrenty is out (100k/5yrs).

IMHO if i change my oil every 3k...I'm coverd for engine lubrication. Plus it looks great for resale...would you buy a car from a guy who changed his oil every 10,000miles?

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would agree with Bikeman, GM is just waiting for you to blow the motor after the 100,000 mile warranty. I always change it at 3,00o miles too out of habit, although my friend goes by that thing and he changes the oil every 6,000-8,000 miles. I would be scared of all the gunk that would build up, and that's exactly why I won't buy a used truck because people believe everything that DIC tells them.

4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've only seen that come on once and that was just after I bought my truck (in '06). I also change my oil regularly ever 3k no more than 3.5k. Anybody know of a good synthetic? I use royal purple but this month I think I'm going to have to go for a cheaper synthetic since I bought that 52 chevy... Thanks

-Greg

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've been Running Valvoline Maxlife 5-30 Full Synthetic,along with A/C Delco Filter.I change my oil at 4500 or there about.I have 135K on my truck now,and it runs Great.

6. 08victoryredZ71

08victoryredZ71 Rockstar

My dealer told me that i can change my oil every 5k miles along with a tire rotation. They said that oil last longer then it used to. They said go by the oil percentage life and i am good. So i do!

7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i too change mine at 3k, but i waited for the message oce and it did it at 4k. also i only have the 3yr 36k warranty...

8. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

I run 15000 between changes, AMSOIL 5w-30 and EAO32 filter......

Been for 10 yrs.....

9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

lol, my truck is too old for that...

10. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I plan on going 30K to 50K on my AMSOIL oil change. I have 8 or 9 on it right now and the OLM has not said to change it yet. I want to see when it does say change it so I can send in an oil sample and see how it comes back. that will tell me if the OLM is worth anything.