1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how many people....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5speedsilverado, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

go by when their truck says in the cluster "oil change required"

just curious
  2. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

I change mine every 3k. So I know theres good oil in there all the time. The oil life monitering system that GM uses COULD put you changing your oil at 10k miles and thats crazy. I believe that they are trying to reduce the ownership cost of the vehicles to compete with toyos and dodges. I figure that they figure if you change you oil every 10k...the engine won't fail till after the warrenty is out (100k/5yrs).

IMHO if i change my oil every 3k...I'm coverd for engine lubrication. Plus it looks great for resale...would you buy a car from a guy who changed his oil every 10,000miles?
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would agree with Bikeman, GM is just waiting for you to blow the motor after the 100,000 mile warranty. I always change it at 3,00o miles too out of habit, although my friend goes by that thing and he changes the oil every 6,000-8,000 miles. I would be scared of all the gunk that would build up, and that's exactly why I won't buy a used truck because people believe everything that DIC tells them.
  4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

I've only seen that come on once and that was just after I bought my truck (in '06). I also change my oil regularly ever 3k no more than 3.5k. Anybody know of a good synthetic? I use royal purple but this month I think I'm going to have to go for a cheaper synthetic since I bought that 52 chevy... Thanks

-Greg
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've been Running Valvoline Maxlife 5-30 Full Synthetic,along with A/C Delco Filter.I change my oil at 4500 or there about.I have 135K on my truck now,and it runs Great.
  6. 08victoryredZ71

08victoryredZ71 New Member

My dealer told me that i can change my oil every 5k miles along with a tire rotation. They said that oil last longer then it used to. They said go by the oil percentage life and i am good. So i do!
  7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i too change mine at 3k, but i waited for the message oce and it did it at 4k. also i only have the 3yr 36k warranty...
  8. detailjohn

detailjohn New Member 100 Posts

I run 15000 between changes, AMSOIL 5w-30 and EAO32 filter......

Been for 10 yrs.....
  9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

lol, my truck is too old for that...
  10. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I plan on going 30K to 50K on my AMSOIL oil change. I have 8 or 9 on it right now and the OLM has not said to change it yet. I want to see when it does say change it so I can send in an oil sample and see how it comes back. that will tell me if the OLM is worth anything.