How much space in/behind dash...00 silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Tdaz250, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've got a xm module thats in my glove box right now...i'd like to relocate it to in the dash somewhere so i can gain my glove box back...right now i only open it to get my ipod out.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. Tdaz250

Thanks for the link...this is exactly what i was looking for. How did you flip your glove box down like that? I'd like some advice before i go doing it on my own and end up breaking something...

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There should be a tab that holds the glove box open when it hits the stop...just push that tap until pops past the stop...and your glove box should flop to the floor!

5. SurrealOne

When you open the glove box the tab is on the right side of it -- toward the rear. It protrudes to the right of the interior of the glove box ... and acts as a 'stop'. Simply flexing the right-most wall of the glove box to allow this 'stop' to move past the bar on which it rests (when the glove box is fully open) ... will allow the glove box to fold down as shown in the thread I linked.

6. Tdaz250

Thanks guys. Before i looked i thought there was a tab on the left side thats why i was worried...the right side is flexible to it flopped down just like you guys said. There was a perfect slot that the unit slid into and i zip tied it and i have my glove box back. I might go back and tape over some of that sharper metal thats in there.

7. SurrealOne

[MENTION=22566]Tdaz250[/MENTION], glad it worked out for you. I wouldn't bother taping, as the heat build-up of summer will just make a mess of it. That said, I'd -love- it if metal in dash wasn't so sharp. I've cut myself six ways from Sunday working inside the dash by feel. Goes with the territory. :(

8. Tdaz250

Gotcha...even with some thin electrical tape? I guess your right i just worry since my amp wiring runs through there.

9. SurrealOne

Get some inexpensive wire loom (with appropriate interior diameter) and put it over the wiring you want to protect -- and wire tie that as well as you're able so that any rubbing across sharp surfaces will be minimal. It's better than tape, and won't melt, slip, or leave gooey crud all over things in the dash in the heat. I bought 100 feet of 3/8" wire loom via amazon.com for 10 bucks plus shipping. This was far cheaper than at the local auto store ... and I got far more of it for the money, too. Make sure you choose wire loom that's large enough for your wiring needs. (I don't know how many or large the wires you're talking about are, but 3/8" loom would only hold a single 4ga wire, at best.)