1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how much trans fluid/what kind should i buy for the 4l60e transmission in my 97 k1500

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chrisakin35, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Chrisakin35

Chrisakin35 New Member

its a 97 k1500 with the 4l60e(well, im insisting that it has it because how many 1500s have a 4l80e?) and 5.7l v8 and 200k miles

anyway, im changing the valve body and putting a shift kit in my tranny because im throwing some codes and i dont feel like rebuilding this tranny right now and im trying to buy some time till i get my 383 s10 done in the next mointh or two. i am wondering how much trans fluid i should buy and what kind? also what kind of filter etc and how do i know if i have a deep pan or a shallow pan? im looking at this ish

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...KeyWord=transmission filter&fromString=search

i need to do this soon as i am driving 50 miles away in about an hour and a half or 2 hours....
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can use dex III or dex VI. VI is an updated fluid that replaced dex II and III, I believe that GM recommends this in all vehicles now
  3. Chrisakin35

Chrisakin35 New Member

alright, how many quarts if im just doing a fluid change?
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You have a 4l60e if your pan has 16 bolts instead of 18 like the 4l80.

For pan removal only it takes 5 quarts. For overhaul 11 quarts.

Make sure to check your level for cold temp and then again for hot after refilling.
  5. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

i highly recommend a bottle of crc trans stop slip/leak/seal conditioner/etc etc. i did a fluid and filter change on my 94 4l60 and it shifted a lil better but was still shifting at the wrong times. some harsher than others. i bought this can prior because i wanted to know if there was a difference. came home sucked out i believe 3/4 of a quart and dumped in the crc. it instanly from the time i put it in gear all the way to this day it has shifted completely different. by different i mean perfect. no shifting too late/hard. occaisional slip in second. it all disapearred and has not returned. i used carquest brand DEX III with there profesional grade filter/gasket kit. im very happy with what i bought. ive been pulling my boat in this warmer weather with the shift controller on stage 1 and its shifted much smoother and quicker. it literally tuned my 4l. p.s. DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANS. IT WILL SLIP ASK ME HOW I KNOW.