how much trans fluid/what kind should i buy for the 4l60e transmission in my 97 k1500

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chrisakin35, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Chrisakin35

Chrisakin35 New Member

its a 97 k1500 with the 4l60e(well, im insisting that it has it because how many 1500s have a 4l80e?) and 5.7l v8 and 200k miles

anyway, im changing the valve body and putting a shift kit in my tranny because im throwing some codes and i dont feel like rebuilding this tranny right now and im trying to buy some time till i get my 383 s10 done in the next mointh or two. i am wondering how much trans fluid i should buy and what kind? also what kind of filter etc and how do i know if i have a deep pan or a shallow pan? im looking at this ish

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...KeyWord=transmission filter&fromString=search

i need to do this soon as i am driving 50 miles away in about an hour and a half or 2 hours....

2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can use dex III or dex VI. VI is an updated fluid that replaced dex II and III, I believe that GM recommends this in all vehicles now

3. Chrisakin35

Chrisakin35 New Member

alright, how many quarts if im just doing a fluid change?

4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You have a 4l60e if your pan has 16 bolts instead of 18 like the 4l80.

For pan removal only it takes 5 quarts. For overhaul 11 quarts.

Make sure to check your level for cold temp and then again for hot after refilling.

5. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

i highly recommend a bottle of crc trans stop slip/leak/seal conditioner/etc etc. i did a fluid and filter change on my 94 4l60 and it shifted a lil better but was still shifting at the wrong times. some harsher than others. i bought this can prior because i wanted to know if there was a difference. came home sucked out i believe 3/4 of a quart and dumped in the crc. it instanly from the time i put it in gear all the way to this day it has shifted completely different. by different i mean perfect. no shifting too late/hard. occaisional slip in second. it all disapearred and has not returned. i used carquest brand DEX III with there profesional grade filter/gasket kit. im very happy with what i bought. ive been pulling my boat in this warmer weather with the shift controller on stage 1 and its shifted much smoother and quicker. it literally tuned my 4l. p.s. DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANS. IT WILL SLIP ASK ME HOW I KNOW.