Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How Often Do You Change Your Oil? (Poll)

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by unplugged, Jul 8, 2009.

?

How do you change your oil?

1. Do it yourself

213 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. Quicky Lube (Lube only shop)

30 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Dealer or your mechanic

66 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. What? The oil has to be changed?

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do it myself. A major auto parts store often has $10 off of the 5quart+ jug of mobile 1 on their facebook page or a coupon for a set price of $24. So when I see the coupon I print a few and buy a few jugs. It works out for me because I use the Mobile 1 high mileage and it is normally a few dollars more than the regular mobile 1. I only use an AC filter. I like getting under the truck so I can look for anything odd like leaks.

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Sorry, this may have been covered I just don't have time to read through 100 posts. Has anyone ever heard of doing ONE mobile1 synthetic 0-40 oil change in our trucks once in the motors life cycle at around 100k? This is for the nbs generation 5.3l. (LM7 engine)

3. Pikey

I have not heard of that. I would be concerned as I believe that the 0 in 0-40 means that there is 0 viscosity at startup when the oil is cold. I could be wrong. I should be learning the answer to that very soon as I am currently in a fluids mechanics class and we are studying oil viscosity

4. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Cool keep my posted! I heard this from a life long GM tech who has quite a good reputation in Fairbanks. Remember also I live in Fairbanks Alaska where it's super cold on the winter and super hot in the summer. No where else in the lower 48 do you guys see the temp swings we go through. So our motors are exposed to some harsh conditions.

5. Pikey

OK! I learned a crap load about viscosity ratings and oil tonight. I started typing and after 20 minutes I realized that this info was already available. So, I deleted my super long, technical, and probably boring to most folks post and decided to just post this link. It explains it pretty well, a little long winded though. You can probably skip over most of the 101 page. What sucks is that I could have gotten nearly the same info I got in school, without the equations, without paying $250 per credit hour.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

6. savagetman

savagetman Member

I take it to the local GM dealer fast lane, ever 5000ks and watch them like a hawk and i take the time to inspect the undercarriage. I don't care if the dash still says i 45% or more oil life left. oil is the blood and i like to keep my hart clean. still using dexos 1 as im still on warranty.

7. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

i agree with savagetman. i dont trust the oil life meter.
    myself, i use royal purple. but i dont let it get near the "oil life expectancy" the problem as was explained to me is not the entirely the oil breaking down. but its small particles that get in oil. if that was not the case we would not have oil filters or magnetic plugs lol. the way i see it. i spent or i guess the correct way to put it is i am spending a good chunk of change to purchase the truck. so i feel going the extra mile to keep it in premium shape.

8. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

Since I work about 60 to 70 hours a week, I take my truck to a quickie lube, plus I know one of the guys that works there. He knows if they screw up I will rip someones head off.

9. fcada

fcada New Member

Where does one learn the grease fitting locations? Shop Manual?

- - - Updated - - -

Where does one learn the grease fitting locations? Shop Manual?

- - - Updated - - -

I just crashed my 1998 Silverado 350 engine. I changed oil about every 5K. I drive mostly paved roads, hiway driving. The truck had 190K miles and did not burn a drop of oil and ran like new. Maybe the oil changes are worth the trouble? I will do it on my new truck.

10. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

You can go to Amsoil website and they will tell you how many grease fitting are on your vehicle. As far as location, just crawl under there and look for pivot points. The service manual will tell you how many and where as well.