How Often Do You Change Your Oil? (Poll)

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by unplugged, Jul 8, 2009.

?

How do you change your oil?

1. Do it yourself

213 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. Quicky Lube (Lube only shop)

30 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Dealer or your mechanic

66 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. What? The oil has to be changed?

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I take mine to NTB all the time, because i have lifetime oil changes, tire balancing, 4 wheel alignment, and rotation so why wouldn't I? We have a four post car lift and all of the tools, but the time just isn't there for that kind of thing. :sleep:

2. Wrench

Wrench Rockstar

perks of being a mechanic is that i get to do my own with a hoist and able to check everything over on company time :great:

3. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

been takin it to a place in town and after every change i crawl under to check their work.no dissapointments so far but first screw up ill be back to doing it myself

4. drkbluZ71

drkbluZ71 New Member

do it yourself is the only way. plus you save money!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I lose money. $7 for a good filter, $15 for decent oil. Plus grease, hand cleaner, hot water, and an hour of my time. I could take it to the speedie shop for $20, done in 15 minutes, no dirty hands. Of course, I get more experience changing front end parts that way........

6. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

yeah here in grand rapids there was a place doing oil changes for 15. i brought my old honda passport :jap:there and like 1500 miles later the oil was like black water. havent done those cheap deals since.:no:

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yeah the oil change places are cheap until you start adding the upgraded oil, filter etc. then that 15 quickly becomes 40+. Do mine myself.

8. 88Jimmy4X4

88Jimmy4X4 New Member

There is nothing I cant do or havent done to my truck. I do it myself. But, thanks for the offer.:)

9. drkbluZ71

drkbluZ71 New Member

wow

wow thats pretty sad if it takes you an hour to change ur own oil. im done in less the 30 min and have done it enough times at the age of 20 to know how to keep the mess to a minimum. at a local quick lube they charge $95 for the mobile 1 extended performance oil and filter. i get the same thing at autozone for less then $35 and have the satisfaction of Knowing I Put A Quality Oil in my truck. i dont know about yall but i dont have $60 dollars to just throw away like that. not to mention its not a bad thing to do a little work every once and a while.

10. VectraGT

VectraGT Rockstar

Pay Germany GM dealership $160 US dollars or do it my self?

Living in Germany comes at a cost. Especially when it comes to maintenance on my '09 Silverado. Just out of curiosity I took my truck to the local Opel dealer (part of GM) and showed them the maintenance schedule for 10,000 Miles. He returned with a bill of over $400. I kindly thanked him for his time and went by the parts store on base to get the things I needed. The great thing about living in Germany is I have hooked up with a Germany family who ONLY works on GM products. They curse all German owned brands and only work on Opels. Considering I drive the pennical of Amercian utility, the have graciously accepted me as part of the family. Along with that comes 2 fully stocked garrages, with lifts, pnumatic tools, and gathering crowds to whatch the truck on the lift.

** Do it your self. Its much more fun...at least in Germany!**