How often do you need to grease the fittings NNBS?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 6, 2013.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

a specialty cleaner would be throttle body cleaner,MAF cleaner. these require the correct chemicals or you will damage the components.

carb cleaner should not be used on these engines. silicone is great for body chrome and exterior protection from de ice chemicals BUT !!! do not spray this when the engine is running as this product will damage the O2 sensors.

working in the transportation industry cleaning metal parts with rubber/plastics we used mineral spirits low odor paint thinner ...cheap and effective safe cleaning for you and the parts.

with the brake parts denatured alcohol..

I never used brake cleaner on the brake pads . used soap spray to capture the dust and a brush . never had any seals damaged or leak ..solvents around these parts can be tricky.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Lol, you are old school J-cat! I have not heard of anyone else using denatured alcohol in a long time. I have a bottle of it in my garage. Friends come over and always ask what it is for

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with the brake units used , the use of this de-natured alcohol did work well to avoid the dangers of damaging the sensitive brake sensors used and seals. spray cans of cleaner would be not very economical with the size of these ..

I am talking about vehicles that would make are trucks look like toys..

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In auto shop my teacher decided to have me spend a semester rebuilding wheel cylinders, master cylinders, and calipers (honing, cleaning, replacing parts) I went thru tons of denatured alcohol.