1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Often do You Use 4wd Low?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 30, 2012.

?

How Often do You Use 4Lo?

1. Never. (Literally never/super rarely)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Once in a while. (max once to twice a year)

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. More often than most. (3+ times a year consistently)

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. All the time. (once a month or multiple times a month)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. What's 4Lo? Or not a 4wd vehicle.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Moving my truck in our normal snow fall shuffle the roads are so icy that I needed 4Lo to back up into my normal parking spot.

I'm just wondering how often do you guys use your 4Lo, the torquest the truck can get.
  2. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

only use it when i feel the need to have finesse when moving large objects like campers. otherwise i feel 4hi is the way to go especially in snow. less chance of spinning that way.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I only put it in 4 low once in a while. I rarely need it, if ever. I just do it to make sure that the tcase remembers what it is supposed to do. I used to put it in 4 low in my 95 all the time at the sand dunes. I had a posilok 4 actuator so I would put it in 4 low and not actuate the front diff, so I would have 2 low. I had all the torque I needed to get up steep dunes and still had the turning radius of being in 2wd.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My Chevy doesnt have a transfer case so never, but the Tacoma is almost always locked in low, similiar to Pikey I did a twin stick conversion on it so I can run low range in 2wd.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Like Pikey, I will select 4LOW to "exercise" (I like that word) the t-case, but I rarely use it. I haven't used it in this truck and I don't remember using it in the previous truck (however, I doubt if I would buy a truck without the 2 speed box). I did use it in the '96 Blazer, for climbing gravel pit walls and steep logging roads.
  6. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

As Pikey and RayVoy said, i just put in there sometimes to keep it known. Everytime ive been offroad, i have only ran 2wd at silver lake sand dunes.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well I proved I need new tires. After going out and staying in 2wd most of the way the rear lost grip a few times in intersections.... And even in low I couldn't get beck to my parking spot because it is just to icy and slippery.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well we got a little white stuff last night soo I ight put it in just to Lube up the gears.. But other then that 4w Auto does just fine or even 2wd with the locker is fine in this snow.. covered....jpg
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

We are getting hammered today, storm originated south of Lake Ontario, blew through Quebec and Northeast US yesterday and into NB, NS and PEI today. I don't think there is a huge amount of snow, but real high winds, causing some good drifts. I was just outside, the snow has stopped, but wind is so high I'm waiting for awhile to clean out the driveway. Not 2WD, 4HI, or 4LOW will get me out of the driveway today.
  10. bowaddict13

bowaddict13 Member

I use it quite a bit i go on the property and pull downed trees and stuff so the torque is great when imm pulling them through the muck and stuff so i use it quite a bit 3 or 4 times a week