How Often do You Use 4wd Low?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 30, 2012.

?

How Often do You Use 4Lo?

1. Never. (Literally never/super rarely)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Once in a while. (max once to twice a year)

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. More often than most. (3+ times a year consistently)

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. All the time. (once a month or multiple times a month)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. What's 4Lo? Or not a 4wd vehicle.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Moving my truck in our normal snow fall shuffle the roads are so icy that I needed 4Lo to back up into my normal parking spot.

I'm just wondering how often do you guys use your 4Lo, the torquest the truck can get.
  2. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

only use it when i feel the need to have finesse when moving large objects like campers. otherwise i feel 4hi is the way to go especially in snow. less chance of spinning that way.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I only put it in 4 low once in a while. I rarely need it, if ever. I just do it to make sure that the tcase remembers what it is supposed to do. I used to put it in 4 low in my 95 all the time at the sand dunes. I had a posilok 4 actuator so I would put it in 4 low and not actuate the front diff, so I would have 2 low. I had all the torque I needed to get up steep dunes and still had the turning radius of being in 2wd.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

My Chevy doesnt have a transfer case so never, but the Tacoma is almost always locked in low, similiar to Pikey I did a twin stick conversion on it so I can run low range in 2wd.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Like Pikey, I will select 4LOW to "exercise" (I like that word) the t-case, but I rarely use it. I haven't used it in this truck and I don't remember using it in the previous truck (however, I doubt if I would buy a truck without the 2 speed box). I did use it in the '96 Blazer, for climbing gravel pit walls and steep logging roads.
  6. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

As Pikey and RayVoy said, i just put in there sometimes to keep it known. Everytime ive been offroad, i have only ran 2wd at silver lake sand dunes.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Well I proved I need new tires. After going out and staying in 2wd most of the way the rear lost grip a few times in intersections.... And even in low I couldn't get beck to my parking spot because it is just to icy and slippery.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Well we got a little white stuff last night soo I ight put it in just to Lube up the gears.. But other then that 4w Auto does just fine or even 2wd with the locker is fine in this snow.. covered....jpg
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

We are getting hammered today, storm originated south of Lake Ontario, blew through Quebec and Northeast US yesterday and into NB, NS and PEI today. I don't think there is a huge amount of snow, but real high winds, causing some good drifts. I was just outside, the snow has stopped, but wind is so high I'm waiting for awhile to clean out the driveway. Not 2WD, 4HI, or 4LOW will get me out of the driveway today.
  10. bowaddict13

bowaddict13 New Member

I use it quite a bit i go on the property and pull downed trees and stuff so the torque is great when imm pulling them through the muck and stuff so i use it quite a bit 3 or 4 times a week
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I use it once in a while when off-road and I need it...
  12. AnimalYates

AnimalYates New Member

Haven't had the need for it yet, and hopefully I don't seeing as I don't go muddin or climbing trees. We got some snow (6 inches maybe?) in Ohio so 4hi does the job more than good enough. I still tried it out, just to see that all is well.
  13. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I use it when I'm pulling logs and other crap which is quite often this time of year. Had to use it to crawl a very tight hill a few days ago
  14. Kady

Kady New Member

I've never had to use it in my Tahoe. When I had my Suburban, I used to park on all the snow mounds from the plows so other people on my street could park where it was cleared. Sometimes, I would have to use 4Lo to get in or out of the mound, but that's just because I wanted to. I have 4wd so I might as well use it.
  15. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

I find I use 4L more often than most. Must be the type of 4 wheeling I do. Most of those who have commented have talked about "sand" and "dunes" and "snow" where speed and torque are usually less important (if anything you want less torque in many of those situations to minimize wheel slip). Most of my 4L use is in more rutted, "rock-crawling" type situations where I want to be able to go slow without constantly riding the brakes and to allow the engine/transmission to work together. In many of these situations in H, the engine runs at low rpm and the transmission never gets out of 1st gear.
  16. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

When I went home for leave, I climbed the levee (Mississippi River) with it to get over in the grass. Handled it like a champ in 4Lo and 1st gear. Other than that about the only time I use it is to pull stupid people out or pull trees out of the way. So maybe 10-15 times, PER YEAR. Have a feeling I might need it this year if it comes up this week.
  17. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

Great gear on the farm when negotiating rougher terrain and need to go slow with control but have enough torque you don't have to juice the pedal. Especially nice when doing this with a load or when towing a wagon etc.
  18. Nargg

Nargg New Member

Haven't had the need for it yet on my 2011 LTZ. This is the first one I've had with the "auto" setting and use that a lot. These V8s are so torquey now, I haven't needed it. Used low a few times on an older Suburban pulling horse trailers out of the mud, but that's all. That Suburban didn't have much over 1/2 the torque of my 2011.
  19. 95C1500

95C1500 New Member

never. 2wd
  20. dark star

dark star New Member

I never use 4W low, just haven't found the need for it yet.