1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How often do you wax your vehicle?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by ChevyFan, Jul 24, 2009.

?

How often do you wax your vehicle? What do you use?

1. I don't really wax, just wash once in a while

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. I go through the carwash - wash and wax

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. I hand wash - soap only

11 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. I hand wash - soap and wax

11 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. I hand wash - soap, wax, polishes and more

22 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. I detail once or twice per year along with washing

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  7. I detail several times per year along with washing

46 vote(s)
    36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Henchman

Henchman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Can you wax you truck too much?

2. WestCoastColy

WestCoastColy Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Yes, if you are using the type of wax that builds-up. Most, if not all, quality brand waxes will be fine for frequent use. You also should use clay-bar to clean your paint surface so you don't embed surface contaminants under the wax and into the paint.

3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Never used clay bar, friend did his truck and it was black it did a great job,he said it was alot of work,but the pay off was well worth its time.

4. jdsnowfire

jdsnowfire New Member

I have
    2001 chevy 1500 bought in 2007 washed and waxed 3 times(my first truck), pressure washed about 5 times since then
    1990 chevy 1500 bought in 2009 pressure washed once-paint is too far gone to wash let alone wax
    2002 chevy 2500 duramax bought in 2010, pressure washed once

the rain keeps them clean enough-i just try to knock most of the salt off of them in the spring so they dont rust out as fast

5. RedneckGirl

RedneckGirl Rockstar

I cleaned on my truck the other day and it took me forever. I took it to the coin op washed it. I never run my truck through the car wash I just get satisfaction out of it when I do it myself. I then used cleaner wax on it, scratch X, polishing wax, then quick mist, and cleaned the wheels. It took me 9 hours cleaning my truck and that wasn't getting to the inside yet.

6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Since this is the first rig I've owned with GOOD paint, I've been very meticulous about it. I've washed it once a week since I've owned it (The winter time it was all local car wash cleans, and the summer spring and fall is all hand wash) and I just did it's first wax job since I've owned it. It's due for another though, as it's been about a month or so. I'll probably have it buffed again before winter, and then start the process all over again.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I buff twice a year (spring and fall) since the road salt here in MN is so horrible.. Evne when it has rust. I hand wax a couple of times during the summer, and if we get a warm spot in the winter... Otherwise they just get washed, and the inside detailed.

8. davemight

davemight New Member

Detail couple times a year, wax at least 3 or 4 times a year, wash every week or more often.

9. SWAT13

SWAT13 Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I use polish instead of wax. Polish doesn't have the abrasives that wax does.

10. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I use a spray wax nearly most after every wash, TW Black car detailer spray wax, but just ordered the hand polishing kit from Adam's Polishes to wash, clay bar, polish, & seal. I'll have to get up early that day.