1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How often should the oil filter be changed?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Sep 17, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hello all.

I am going to be submitting a used oil analysis(UOA) to Blackstone Labs when I change the oil. I've never had a UOA done before so I am curious as to the results, and I will be paying the extra $10 for a TBN.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and AC Delco PF48 oil filters only. I usually change the oil and filter every 6K. I suspect I am changing the oil too early, but the TBN should be able to answer that.

On to my purpose for posting the thread, I normally change the oil and filter every 6K, should I change the oil filter at the halfway point? Walmart sells the PF48 oil filters in my area for $4 each so it is low cost.

Thanks.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't know the "correct" answer to this. My grandfather used to change his oil (conventional) every 6,000 miles, but he changed the filter every 3,000. He never had any issues with his vehicles and most of them ran over 350,000 miles without any issues.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I try to use a decent filter and do the 6k change with mobil 1 or castrol syntec. My wifes new car says 10k intervals. So who knows, oil analysis may be the best way. Even fram sells some 15k filters.
  4. stchman

I am going to do an oil and filter change at the 6K mark. I will send off a sample to Blackstone and wait for the results.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I guess my question is: "Why would the filter be dirty?"

A modern engine, well refined fuel and good oil should not produce anything that would clog a filter.

The biggest fear with a filter is that they wear out. the filter medium tears.
  6. stchman

Many modern oil filters have a bypass valve in them to keep oil moving when the media becomes clogged.

IYO, you think that modern filters will have torn media before clogged media?
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm just saying that because the engines are so clean in today's modern vehicles that there is very little contamination to clog a filter.

And, I'm thinking that the cheap filters would eventually wear the filter material (read paper) to the point that it would tear (just from the flow). I don't know how many miles this would take, but I know it does happen.
  8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 100 Posts

It's amazing how much old school & folklore on oil keeps going on forever. The three thousand mile oil change were from the days of "leaded gas". My dad and I torn open two engines when I was a teenager and on both engines the oil pans were full of sludge. Back in the 50's and 60's the engines were no where clean burning. Spark plugs had to be changed every 10K and my dad's 57 Chevy 6 cylinder had an "optional" oil filter. The 1977 GM's finally redesigned the engines for the no lead gas and the oil change interval was then as it is now 7500 miles. This about put the grease monkeys on there heads. MY 2011 Murano is 7500 miles and I switch to synthetic. A lot of 70MPH driving is done so I stick to the 7500. My 2012 Silverado is DEXOS2 grade and the on board commuter has an oil % life left for the oil. The dealer stated that when it get blow 20% is when they'll do the free oil change. I went to 13% before I got to the dealership and it was around 6800 miles. They do a calculation on type for driving, towing, average speed and duration. Oil filters are only there to catch and metal that is wearing off. Unless your in a very sandy or dusty environment, oil filter can also go the 7500 mile mark. Unless you're alway nailing the gas pedal, I'll bet you have 30-40% oil life left with regular driving.
  9. stchman

I don't believe any Silverado uses dexos2 grade oil. The gas engines require dexos1 and the Duramax requires CJ-4 oil.
  10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

I always change my oil at 4.5-5k miles...oil is cheap but a motor isnt and it gets me out of the house!...btw i use Mobil 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic also with Mobil 1 filter