How often should the oil filter be changed?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I checked the manual and it is DEXOS1, I was going from memory. The manual states GM DEXOS1 is a synthetic blend.

View attachment 55223

Attached Files:

• OIL.JPG
      OIL.JPG
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I thought when you said your Silverado uses dexos2 that you had a Duramax engine.

3. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

I change my oil at 5-6k miles and always try to use decent filter. If we change oil filter every 5-6k miles then we never had any issues with vehicles..

4. rg79

rg79 New Member

I change oil and filter every 4500 miles, but I also use my truck like a truck. I've tried just changing the filter at 3000 and topping off with fresh oil and changing all at 5000, but didn't really see much difference. Ultimately its all about where and how you drive, and what you use the truck for. I use mine like a two ton and drive it like a camaro.

5. stchman

What kind of oil and filter do you use? Unless you are using conventional oil, 4500 miles is a bit too frequent.

6. rg79

rg79 New Member

I was using valvoline 5/30 conventional, but have switched to valvoline 5/30 synthetic. I also use a 6.0 filter since its double the length. You can do that from 99-06, GM changed the filters in 07.

7. stchman

With synthetic oil it is OK to go 6-9K miles between changes.

Me personally I have never been a fan of using a different filter than the one that was designed to go on the vehicle. If GM could have gotten away with using a filter from an older engine, they would have.

8. Clunker

Clunker New Member

I change my oil/filter every 6-7K miles. Use AC Delco filter and Mobile1 5-30 full synthetic. I've done this since I bought new in '08 and now at 80K miles with no problems.

9. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

at 5k miles I change oil, filter, and tire rotation, every 10k i balance the tires in additon to a rotation, I use GM oil and filter, and nitro in my tires. Changing oil and filter at 5 k gives me that warm fuzzy confident feeling.