How sensitive are the coils

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Jeff Dodson, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

I want to clean the engine in my truck. How sensitive are the coils when getting wet..... I know on fords (whoops, I said the F-word) the water can knock out a coil, had it done to me on my wife's escape! those things are expensive

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Most manuals today do not recommend cleaning the engine with water. Other than water, engine cleaners are quite aggressive and may harm some plastic components and paint. I'm one that always have cleaned engines and never had a problem.

1) Do this on a SUNNY day and move the vehicle facing south. Start in the morning hours for a good day where the engine can dry out.

2) Always and always disconnect the battery, BOTH terminals and remove it. It can get quite nasty under the battery (tray).

3) I prefer a cold engine to minimize any condensation.

4) Spray on your cleaner and try as much as possible not to directly hit and soak sensors with plug connections.

5) With a garden hose, lightly spray the engine compartment to rinse the cleaner off. Only use a heavy hose to clean the chassis if there was an oil leak and the undercarriage was coated with grease and oil. Avoid the ECM area under the hood if there is one and the fuse box. Most trucks have then under the hood and behind the dash.

6) Get your air compressor out and start blowing out the water especially on the top part of the engine where water might puddle. Hit the compress air at plugs connections and check that they were not lose and water may have gotten into them. Dry out the area of the ignition coils and fuse box. Remove the fuse box cover to inspect for water intrusion and blow it out. If you do not have an air compressor, use a leaf blower (essentially a big hair dryer).

7) Then let it air dry in the sun all day. At the end of the day hit it again with compressed air especially in the tight areas just to be sure. Reconnect the battery and go for it.

8) This is what I do and no manufacture would recommend this and most auto repairs shops will not clean engines because it can get expensive on repairs, as you already know.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If you wash the engine you will have electrical DTC failures.

many have washed their engines only to have KS failures. then you will have to remove the upper intake manifold and replace these sensors and most likely the connectors to them.

as was mentioned GM does not recommend any engine washing.

in the very old days I used to use steam to clean my engines . this was do able with proper plastic wrap of the distributor/carb ..

not the case with these engines...

solvents to wash clean is destructive...

4. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Must have dodged a bullet. I have washed the engine off in my 2013 a few times and never had any problem. Mine gets especially dirty since I have to drive down a few mile of gravel roads to and from the house. I never disconnected anything. Didn't use high pressure, only garden hose pressure. Washed out under the engine cover and the entire engine and compartment. Schaeffer Oil makes a very good degreaser that is biodegradable and washes off with regular water pressure. It is called Citrol. Have used it with no issues also. I guess just use caution and live within your comfort level.

5. j cat

problem with cleaners is they use acid...this then causes a corrosion on the electrical ..

the alternator can also get messed up..

I use my air compressor I made up a 3 foot wand to blow down the engine bay....

I used to have rodents ,, put nuts on the intake manifold..air pressure did a good job cleaning them out...

no more rodents now , I killed them all ...I was was killing up to 2 a day for a while ..chipmunks,mice,rats,squirrels and various other chewing rodents.. the killing started when they chewed a wire under my fuse box..

6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

True, a lot of cleaners do use acid. Citrol is safe to use on your own hands to remove grease and grime. Done that many times, and is part of their sales pitch on the stuff.

7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

The last time I cleaned an engine was on my 2002 Astro about two years ago. It was replaced with a new 2012 Silverado last year. I never washed my wife's 2000 Mustang (totaled in three years) 2003 Highlander or her 2010 Murano. They just do not get that dirty in Florida unless there is an oil leak somewhere as the Astro had. Since 1989 I have lived in Florida and have not driven any of my vehicles in the winter with salts on the road. Never snows here and I have not driven up north in the winter.

8. j cat

having traveled around the USA I find that arizona is bad with this dust and other plant type debris ...

I rented a car one time in AZ and I had to go to the you do it car wash to remove all the cotton fibers from the ac condenser.. then you get those dust storms now you have a lot of mess...

9. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I can say washing the engine even with a garden hose will take out the knock sensors. I washed mine and a couple days later I got the light and the code was for a knock sensor. I dont recommend washing, and I like keeping my things clean.

10. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

Well this SUX !!!!!