1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How tall is your wife?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Light, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Light

Light New Member

And how does she fit in your Suburban's driver seat?

I ask because mine is 5 feet tall and has some health issues which makes it hard for her to mash on pedals if she's too far away. She would do well with an easy-turning steering wheel, etc.

We're considering purchasing a Suburban since we need 3 rows of seating (3 car /booster seats) and we also live in the mountains at 8,000+ feet so we need a 4x4 good in the snow.

Our budget is going to be $1500-3000, hopefully not much more. I have seen a few 80's models but I am wondering if they would be friendly to my wife and the new baby.

I'm leaning more towards 92-96 but I just don't know how the driveability is on those years. I am 6 foot but that's a whole 12 inches of difference between us and she needs to be able to reach the pedals comfortably. It doesn't seem like fun to have to hug the steering wheel just to push the pedals all the way.

Right now we drive an '84 Class A RV built on a Chevrolet P-30 chassis (454/TH400/12bolt dually). I'm comfortable working on the older vehicles but I'm comfortable with EFI too (and it might be preferred).

I need something to work on our acreage hauling trees and stuff but we need something comfortable enough for the wife and kids and also to take on 2-4 hour (or longer) trips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Light
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I think you are on the right track with the '92 to '99 Sub's. They steer a lot better/easier than the 80's models. My wife is 5'7" tall and she didin't have any problems with my '96 pickukp. As your wife is a little shorter, it would be something she would have to try, herself. My '02 Super Crew F*#d had the adjustable pedals and they were really nice. I have seen several 90's Sub's around here in the $2500 to $3500 range, but they were high mileage. Good luck!
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the site! My g/f is 5'7". Drives my yukon ok, but hates the tint!
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Welcome aboard. My wife is 5'1", and does just fine in the Burb and the Bus. Ours is a bench seat, and she sits pretty close to the wheel, but I've never heard her complain.

Good luck
  5. Light

Light New Member

Thanks for the replies! We're definitely going to have to try it out but one complicating factor is she's about 8 months pregnant and definitely not in a normal condition for her size, plus she's not really even allowed to drive right now.

I'm just hoping the right one will come to us. I know they all came with different options in different years and trim levels. It's a bit of a crap-shoot with Craigslist and the local used market. I might try Ebay again but I was burned pretty badly on a Vette a few years back and don't want to repeat that experience.

Light
  6. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My wife is 5 foot tall( even though she lied on her drivers lisence and said 5"2) she drives a escalade and has no problems, other than she looks like a twelve year old behind the steering wheel. she also drive my 2000 silverado without any issues. I know what your saying about the pregnacy thing though my wife weighs under a hundred pounds and my sons weighed in at 9lbs when they where born at eight months I swear you could see there faces thru here skin very poltergeisty!