1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How ti fix speedometer/ odometer/ instant mpg on 09 with 35s

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by o3gerber, May 16, 2012.

1. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys got a question for ya from a friend, the have a 2009 gmc 1500, she wants to put a 6in lift with 35s but wants to keep her speedo, odometer, instant mpg calculator, avarage mpg ect... accurate, what are some of the options to go about this and how much would it cost? i know a programer can fix your speedo but dont know about everything else.
    thanks o3gerber
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A programmer or custom tune will take care of those things for you. Either blackbear or Diablo can provide a custom tune for the lift and both are vendors here. It will typically cost between 5-800 give or take. The advantage to the custom tune is that it will be tuned specifically to her driving style and what she wants out of it regarding the balance between mpg and low end as well as hardening up the shift points. Another advantage is that I've spoken with both blackbear and diablo as I'm planning to put a 6" on my 2009 as well and they both offer support for additional tunes after the initial at no cost. You'd have to speak to them for details.

I've also read of people going with Bullydog programmers, but I know nothing of them specifically so I can't speak to them as well.

Lastly, is she planning to change out the gears as well? If not, she'll have a noticeable loss of power due to the added weight and bigger tires. The gears will help out with this. Additionally, it should lessen the strain on your tranny from pushing the bigger tires down the road.

Yes, the tune and gears are adding additional cost to the lift, but it's important to do it right so you don't end up breaking something earlier than usual.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom on the forum main page you'll see the Blackbear Performance and Diablo Motorsports vendors. I'd recommend contacting them to get specifics about cost.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fixing the speedometer fixes all of those things.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This times two.
  5. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

Awesome, thank you for the help guys, i will have her take a look at this thread and have her sign up to the forum so she can figure out whitch way she wants to fix the speedometer, but thanks again guys!
  6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can adjust the speedometer by programming the computer. If you don't want to buy a programmer, some shops have the equipment to do it.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Shops that can do it tend to charge about 1/3 the cost of a programmer for it, which is annoying. Might as well buy a programmer so you can make your own tweaks. It is, after all, another tool for your shop...