1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: 1999-2002 Silverado Gauge Bulb Swap

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by pmf608, Dec 8, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. omar104

omar104 New Member

Need a Quick Info.

Hey bro, I have a quick question. Could I use these LEDs for the Cluster? I have a 99 silverado.

- Direct replacement for all Wedge Type W5W, 147, 152, 158, 159, 161, 168, 184, 192, 193, 194 2825
    - Input : 12V, No UV or IR radiation. - Life Span: 50000 hours in average
    - Base : W2.1 x 9.5d,
    - LED : SMD5050(3chip) x 5P. - Color : Blue

- Latest Technology, Superior Quality Product manufactured in 2012 $T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUceZBQS,6Vcqo!~~60_57.jpg

2. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those will work, but I would personally recommend bulbs that have a little plastic diffuser cap to even the light out because that forward facing LED on those ones will cause major hotspots that will be a lot brighter than the rest of the cluster.
  3. omar104

omar104 New Member

Bulbs like these?

$T2eC16RHJHYE9nzpdTyCBQ(+BrIUFQ~~60_1.JPG

Also, whats a good website to find a good HIDs?
  4. Stonewall42

Stonewall42 New Member

Yeah but what I like about the ones omar posted is that they are BRIGHT & throw color in 360 degrees but the LEDs I have liek those do not have hot spots but they are also under my dash & nor confined. But as far as HIDs go I bought some off ebay for like $35 & theyre 9005 8000ks where as you might find some on other sites for a minimum of like $70 for the same amount of light & they do put out A LOT of light & if I can remember I will post some new pics of my HIDs
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. omar104

omar104 New Member

Okay, so I will search on ebay for some HIDs, i have a Grey truck, so I think White HIDs would look alright? Wouldnt it?
  6. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those LEDs you posted the second time will be better. Basically, the one thing to look for is that they have a wide beam pattern (at least 120 degrees). If they don't they will only send the light forward instead of through the plastic diffuser. As a result, you will have bright spots where the bulbs are and darker spots everywhere else. As long as your LEDs meet that criteria, you should be ok.

As far as HIDs go, I think 6000K would look good one your grey truck. 6000K are the white color with just a hint of blue. I had them on my 01 Silverado and loved them. 4300K gets you the most light, so 6000K is usually a good trade off between having the most light output and that nice HID color. ddmtuning.com and vvme.com are places a lot of people get their HIDs from and I've heard good feedback. theretrofitsource.com also has HID kits. It's their own brand that they stand behind and I've heard about very good customer service. Their prices are a lot higher than ebay, VVME, and DDMtuning, so its up to you which route you want to go.
  7. Splash4195

Splash4195 New Member

Can I ask what size socket is used I just ordered the LED's for my Silverado!
  8. Stonewall42

Stonewall42 New Member